• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Taming Tips

MagpieDragon

Jogging around the block
I made it my goal when we got Nedd that during the Summer break, I'd tame him- so here goes...
He already consistently takes millet from my hand, though he does bite if I put it in my palm, he isn't afraid of me, acts friendly from the bars of his cage, occasionally lets us pet him thru the bars, but will bite too.
Any tips, info or advice would be highly appreciated :)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I made it my goal when we got Nedd that during the Summer break, I'd tame him
It's going to take a lot longer than one summer break.

I'm surprised he liked millet. Most cockatoos do not. Try something else like an almond or some other healthy treat and see what happens.

First off, you do not "tame" a bird. You "earn" it's trust and respect over time by the way "you" behave and handle him. You won't accomplish much with him outside in an aviary. You're going to need to spend a lot of time with him (perhaps 4 hours a day).

How much bird experience do you have? You've got a long uphill battle ahead.

The key to successful cockatoo "management" is consistency, routine and a safe secure "environment" (which is not a cage, but includes that cage as a home base).

Here's how you try to approach a bird that does not know or trust you.

Connecting and Communicating with your Highly Intelligent Parrot. | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

MagpieDragon

Jogging around the block
Thanks so much John!
This information really helped- looks like I'm in for a long ride :)

MagpieDragon

Jogging around the block
Also, he likes sunflower seeds, and will take them from my hand too, but I just got him from a home that ONLY fed him sunflower seeds, which was pretty bad for his health. He actually takes quite a few things from my hand, but I'm looking for a low-fat treat.