• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Taming help!

Birdhouse9

Checking out the neighborhood
I rescued two albino Indian Ring-necks. I got them at about 7 months old, and they're 9 months old now. They are brother and sister (we thought they were both boys at first), and cannot be separated. They are definitely not tame! I've been working slowly with them. Everyday I've been hand feeding them little treats, letting them come to me, but they are still terrified when people walk by their cage, they refuse to come up to the cage and scream quite a lot. I've been getting a lot of progress with the female, she comes to me sooner and sooner when she sees I have something but she rarely allows me to touch her. She's tasted my hand a little but that's it. I'm not sure any specific ways to help reinforce good behavior and any help would be welcome with helping to hand tame them.

danadear

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dana
Dont rush them. I have an IRN, Buttercup, who has been with us for over a year and it has taken her (or him) that long to be even remotely comfortable with us. She still doesn't like to be touched and held but she likes us okay. It might be more difficult with two, especially if they are bonded and share a cage.