• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Talking

InTheAir

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Claire
Hey,

I just wanted to share another proud Nila moment.

He has been practising human words heaps over the last week. One thing that really amuses me is when he puts words together to make his own little sentances. His first one, months ago, was 'good boy doing'. Now he has learnt my boyfriends name he says 'David good boy'! He certainly didn't learn that from me!

It's so fun watching him develop!

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Yes it is entertaining and amazing to see them develop! :dancing:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
how smart!!

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Their talking ability just amazes me. :D

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
It is wonderful hearing them. •As time goes on you can see what appeals to them as well.

Vegemite

Real Name
Lynne
How old is Nila now? Oak has just turned 1. He can talk but the crazy lazy dude only learnt the words/sayings of Rhyly tiel and despite my best efforts to teach him something else, he is being stubborn. Who woulda thought that a parrot can be stubborn. LOL

InTheAir

Real Name
Claire
Lynne, Nila is just over one year old. He seems to pick one phrase to practise for a couple weeks and tries it at different speeds and in funny voices, and into a coup cup to amplify it. It's all about David at present, david what are you doing? David doing. When he's satisfied with it he picks a new one to obsess over.
He's only recently started directly imitating us when we are looking at him, he used to fly into another part of the house to try new words. He stops answering if we respond the wrong way though. Lol
He learnt wild bird calls before human ones and how to bark like the neighbor's horrid chihuahua.
My boyfriend does quite a good cockatoo voice which Nila responds to. I think Nila is hungry for company that speaks his language, that's why he is trying to learn ours. I'm guessing our language may not be his priority when he gets a friend who is his own species.

One other funny thing is that he never answers to the contact call of the irn a few houses away, who has a very similar call to him (and is very liberal about using it). When he had a play date with a friends pair he learnt their totally different call straight away.

Yoshi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessie
How great! I wish my IRN would talk, but I think his first owner focused more on star-wars sounds (R2D2) and whistles and that is all my boy is interested in. Human words are beneath him. :lol: