• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Talking Conures

Laurah

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Lol yes my conures both have the evil laugh. Especially after biting. My female says go to bed. Cute maroon belly

Laurah

Avenue Veteran
This a bite from yesterday and he did the evil laugh. He's sick...

Attachments

Menagerie Mama

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heidi
BellaBelle, my YSGCC, started talking at about 8 months; but it was several more months before her vocabulary really started to explode.

Her repatoire, thus far:

~Peek-A-Boo! (she initiates the game of that name, too...catches my eye very deliberately, scuttles backwards into her snuggle hut shadows, waits for me to say, "Where's BellaBelle?", then pops out the front yelling "Peek-A-Boo!")
~Kettle! (In context, when the kettle whistles)
~Cake! (Excited to be given a piece of AviCake)
~Kiss/Kisses (and makes kissing noises)
~Be right back
~Sweet dreams
~Sweeeeet BellaBelle
~I love you
~I love you very much (her only five word phrase)
~You don't say?
~ Pretty, pretty bird
~Bella BellaBelle
~Uh-oh! (Said upon dropping her "cake")
~Pretty preening (while preening)
~Banana
~Apple
~Share? (yes, said when she wants to share what I'm eating)
~Cold! (When I'm eating a strawberry fruit pop and she wants it)

I think that's about it for now...but, BellaBelle is not quite a year and a half, only 17 months!

Menagerie Mama

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heidi
BellaBelle, my YSGCC, started talking at about 8 months; but it was several more months before her vocabulary really started to explode.

Her repatoire, thus far:

~Peek-A-Boo! (she initiates the game of that name, too...catches my eye very deliberately, scuttles backwards into her snuggle hut shadows, waits for me to say, "Where's BellaBelle?", then pops out the front yelling "Peek-A-Boo!")
~Kettle! (In context, when the kettle whistles)
~Cake! (Excited to be given a piece of AviCake)
~Kiss/Kisses (and makes kissing noises)
~Be right back
~Sweet dreams
~Sweeeeet BellaBelle
~I love you
~I love you very much (her only five word phrase)
~You don't say?
~ Pretty, pretty bird
~Bella BellaBelle
~Uh-oh! (Said upon dropping her "cake")
~Pretty preening (while preening)
~Banana
~Apple
~Share? (yes, said when she wants to share what I'm eating)
~Cold! (When I'm eating a strawberry fruit pop and she wants it)

I think that's about it for now...but, BellaBelle is not quite a year and a half, only 17 months!
Ooooh, yeah...forgot about:

~Stretch
~Wings
~Beak! (When buffing her beak on a natural fir perch, her preferred tool to keep her beak smooth and shiny)
and,
~Grapes

Must add these to the list I started keeping when her vocabulary got too big to remember accurately. Some phrases are intelligible to anyone, others are more "greenie-speak" and are only readily understood by someone who knows her. It seems as if the novelty of speech has worn off a bit for BellaBelle and she uses certain phrases frequently and others rarely. When I brought her into my home, I had no expectations or desires regarding speaking abilities, so, it is all a bonus as far as I am concerned. Far more rewarding to me is her personality and affection seeking nature...love my little BellaBelle something fierce!

Menagerie Mama

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heidi
...also forgot about:
~Cuddle/Cuddle time (when BellaBelle wants her evening wind-down, nestle into my neck or chest, and get...)
~Gentles (scritches)

Lol, okay, I think that's all she says!

haleybethg

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Haley
Rocky, my maroon belly conure, and Scout, my nanday conure, do not talk. They are 14 yrs old and 4 yrs. old respectively. Both do give me a kiss when I ask. Scout also mumbles like someone is talking through a wall. She also beat boxes. Rocky clicks with her tongue when I give her something like she is saying thank you. Scout has the cutest little whisle squeak when she is happy. When Rocky wants to go somewhere or wants something she will nudge me and point her body towards what she wants. Scout calls for me when she sees me open a door or walk out of the room. I really dont care that they dont talk.
Gilly does the click click with her tongue for thank you too! I think it's the sweetest.

sgtpepper

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Raeann
Hello all...I am a newbie, good to be here. My nanday, Mango, is 5 mos old, and I could almost swear he tries to say, "YooHoo!" lol....He tries to imitate my husband, making clicking noises, as if calling our dog. He also makes a whistle sound, similar to, "too-da-loo." I envy you guys that have conure with the large vocabulary, but I realize Mango is only 5 mos., and patience and practice will pay off.

One day he will just start gabbing. That's what happened with Pepper. I thought she was just making noises and then I heard Hey BooBoo! and a few minutes later she said it again. Then she was on a roll.

I hear her practicing noises when I put her to bed at night. She experiments with different pitches. It's funny to hear. She talks the most when she is in the shower or playing in the sink.

Even since my post above she has increased her vocabulary. Of course, not everyone understands her words. I do because I know phrases that she hears all the time.

Funny story...went to my neurologist yesterday and after seeing a photo of Pepper, he asked me if he could share a secret with me. He leans in and says real softly, "I'm the guy that goes up to birds in stores and says f you, f you, f you in hopes that a bird will repeat it". I swear I peed my pants. So I guess I know most words she hears.

Muffin&Charlie

Meeting neighbors
I have 2 green cheek conures
Charlie>cinnamon 2yr
Muffin>yellow sided 1yr
Charlie says
"whats up"
"where'd you go"
"watcha doin"
"hi charlie"
"whats up charlie"
"night night charlie"
"charlie"
"how you doin"
"what did ya do"
"awesome"
"awesome charlie"
"yaaaa"
and he cat calls "woot whoooo"
and everytime someone coughs charlie mimics and coughs back
Muffin only says "whats up" as she tries to mimic Charlie

SueA555

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Sue Anderson
I had a Nanday rescue -- she was very sweet. Loved cuddles. She also laid a lot of eggs. She wasn't doing well, so I took her to the vet. She said Cricket was quite old. Cricket was with me until she passed.

Laurah

Avenue Veteran
Lol my female yellow sided says hey sexy, whoot woo whistle, go to bed, spicey(female dog), cookie, bad,and the cough too etc. Some things I can't list...wouldnt want to offend anyone. My cinnamon conure said his first word after 1 year "cookie". He's 5. I never expected him to talk. :)

Last edited:

haleybethg

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Haley
I actually think Gilly has picked up the word no & uses it in context. I could be imagining it, but here lately I've asked her to step up into her cage and I'm greeted with what sounds like no in birdlish. Same thing for night night, no! Such a spoiled brat :hehe: