• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Talk to me about yellow streaked lory

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlan79

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Julia
Hi,

I've been looking for a green cheek conure to have as an apartment bird (so not a particularly loud and demanding bird), but came across a yellow streaked lory at the store. Are they loud?

Mystics Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tanya
well all birds can be loud...i have a Yellow Streak,and comparison to my other birds i dont think she is loud but there is a BIG difference in the care and personalty of a conure and a lory

jlan79

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Julia
thanks for your response. What is so special about Lory? I know there's a diet issue, is there anything else?

Wiremonkey3

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lisa
Hi, I have a black lory and although he is not a screamer (he talks and mumbles a lot) when he does scream It is an ear piercing noise. He will on occasion go into a lengthy screaming frenzy where you just have to walk away and ignore him for a bit, but it is LOUD. It will hurt your ears. Ear plugs are my best friend (I have a sun conure as well). Lories need soooo much more than other birds, they are hyperactive and need a lot of "things to do". Their diet is different too but not hard to manage. They will take a lot of your time.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Something else to consider is that Lory’s are nectar eaters and their poop is liquid — they are able to squirt their poop quite some distance, but by putting something down on the floor and around the cage, it will help immensely. (and on a side note it is probably best to not place the Lory near a wall, unless you want to cover the wall as well.)

BirdHerder

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Thomas
I have a yellow streak. By far our family favorite, with a personality unmatched by any bird I've yet to own or work with. That said, this species is a very intelligent, fun-loving, high energy friend. If you are not willing or able to provide several hours a day at a minimum in quality time with your lory, plus spend the extra time with the daily cage cleaning and preparation of the low iron, fruit and nectar diet, you would be doing your bird a grave injustice.

I would not call this bird a loud bird in any sense. Even with her,"Cat, get away from my cage!" scream, our Baby-Girl's volume is nowhere near our nanday conure's medium-strength "hello" squawk, and his "play with me!!!" scream drowns out Baby-Girl altogether.

Our lory is a chatterbox, happily making an almost electronic double cricket-chirp while playing, "talking" in a little mumbling voice while on our shoulders (she has never gone poo on me since I first held her in 2007 through today, always flying to her bird-gym floor to do her business. She is just as neat in her cage, dropping to the cage floor to go, then flying back up to her perch. I've worked with lots of lories, and she is the only one I've ever seen this unsolicited behavior from).

If you have the time, love, and patience necessary to keep your lory psychologically happy and it's habitat nice and healthy, you will be rewarded with barrels of love. Whether you want to teach him tricks or just love on him all afternoon, you will not be disappointed. Plus, since yellow streaked lories have been known to live as long as 28+ years, you will have a friend for a long, long, time!

I hope this helps!
Thomas

TextsFromParrots

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kristen
I wouldn't take the chance honestly. You could get a nice quiet bird or you could get one that reveled in being able to make loud noises come out of his or her mouth and in an apartment that would mean needing to rehome the bird or finding another place to live. If you're able to move into a larger place if this happens then go all four it, if not I would stick with the quieter birds.

Status
Not open for further replies.