• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Talk to me about having more than one bird

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlan79

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Julia
I got Google in May and I didn't have much in terms of bird experience besides having a pair of budgies as a kid. My husband and I did a lot of research and settled on a GCC because they seemed to be lower maintenance than many other birds. But, my husband's dream bird is an African Grey and I think we will get one at some point (probably in a year or so). I guess my question is how to keep two such different bird together? We don't have a dedicated bird room (we live in an apartment) and Google's cage is in the living room. We do have an office that can accommodate a sleep cage as an African Grey would probably need. But for the most part, would they have their cages in the same room and just know that another bird is near by when we're at work? Would they be able to be out together when we're home or one at a time?

We're going to take our time until I graduate nursing school and find a job, to see what our schedules would be like. I guess this is my most preliminary research into getting another bird.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The simple part will be when they are both in their cages. The VERY challenging part will be when one of them is out of their cage and flying about.
There will be such a huge size difference between a grey and your conure. Extreme vigilance will be imperative. I have 3 parrots and my grey is the largest.

This was posted recently. Very detailed and very sad but true. :(

http://forums.avianavenue.com/highway-heaven/60596-my-heart-missing-pieces-today.html

Kolkri

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angie
I don't have any problems with my birds. They each have their own play area. And I never have but one bird on me at a time.

All mine are clipped but Joey who can't fly and that is one of the reasons why they are clipped. I can have them all out and not worry about them getting hurt.

They are still very healthy and happy birds.

usakoinwonderland

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mari
It's all going to depend on the birds. I can have all four of mine out at the same time with no problems. With different birds a watchful eye may be very necessary. I also don't use a sleep cage for my CAG, she didn't like having one.

Status
Not open for further replies.