• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Taking your bird outside?

aqualover9

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Adriana
This seems like a very questionable idea to me, but does anyone here take their bird out for a "walk"?

AutumnRain

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kelsey
I plan on getting my tiel a Pak-o-bird so she can go on walks with me. I can't do just a harness where I Iive because we have so many birds of prey here, from eagles to owls, to hawks, and just about everything in between. I think she'll enjoy the Pak-o-Bird though. :)

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
20180911_184213.jpg I take mine for walks all the time, weather permitting of course! This is from last fall.

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
Just took Echo for a walk today. Safety is very important as there are risks to being outside. But as long as your bird is securely in a carrier or outside aviary or on a harness and you aware of your surroundings and what your bird can tolerate it's pretty safe. While even with all those safety precautions things can still go wrong but the upsides outweigh the risks IMHO. Being able to soak up Vitamin D from the sun and just how stimulating it for your bird does a world of good for them. So if you are confident you can do it safely I highly recommend it :)

Last edited:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
IMG_20190419_180426.jpg 19apr.jpg Screenshot_20190423_004251.jpg Screenshot_20190423_004238.jpg

The picture with Sydney in the carry case was because a hawk was closeby.

or on a harness and you aware of your surroundings
This is so important.
I didn´t spot the hawk first, my boyfriend did. It is why I never take the bird out alone, we always go together so we can keep our bird safe.

MahaSarah

Real Name
Maha
I take my Amazon Parrot on walks all the time :) She loves it.

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
@Zara Great pictures! Wondering if it takes time to train your bird to get used to the harness or the carrier?
A harness takes some time and training. A lot really depends on the bird. Echo took to it pretty well thou putting on and taking it off take some patience from both of us. Once he's out the door he's really good thou. I would think a carrier would take alot less time and training but a person who uses a carrier would have a better idea

aqualover9

Real Name
Adriana
A harness takes some time and training. A lot really depends on the bird. Echo took to it pretty well thou putting on and taking it off take some patience from both of us. Once he's out the door he's really good thou. I would think a carrier would take alot less time and training but a person who uses a carrier would have a better idea
Thanks for the advice!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Wondering if it takes time to train your bird to get used to the harness
Yes. Especially the little birds because they are soooo fragile.
Sydney did well and took to the harness quick. The key thing was when the harness is on, Sydney gets to go outside, have a treat and do something alone with me. So even on the practice times putting the harness on, Sydney got to go outside - hense the picture in my patio. It was the first time and I didn´t want to go far, but I had to take him out so he could make the connection
I´m trying with Adelie but getting nowhere.

or the carrier?
Adelie took to the carrier quickly.
This was Sydneys first time in the carrier with the door closed. I wasn´t planning on using it but it was so important I put Sydney in there for safety. He was fine. He has been in it before, as I leave it in the living room with the door open so they can all go inside it.

@Zara Excellent photos to show the proper way to take your bird out! You're both beauties!
Thankyou, very kind :)

aqualover9

Real Name
Adriana
Yes. Especially the little birds because they are soooo fragile.
Sydney did well and took to the harness quick. The key thing was when the harness is on, Sydney gets to go outside, have a treat and do something alone with me. So even on the practice times putting the harness on, Sydney got to go outside - hense the picture in my patio. It was the first time and I didn´t want to go far, but I had to take him out so he could make the connection
I´m trying with Adelie but getting nowhere.

Adelie took to the carrier quickly.

This was Sydneys first time in the carrier with the door closed. I wasn´t planning on using it but it was so important I put Sydney in there for safety. He was fine. He has been in it before, as I leave it in the living room with the door open so they can all go inside it.

Thanks for the experience!

simon777

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Iliel
Simon does like to go out in his Pak-o-bird. I don't have the strength to carry him on walks myself but we go with Bruce first in the car then on a walk, sometimes into shops like Bunnings (the staff there love to see Simon) or pet shops or on bush walks. Because there are wandering large dogs around here I would never try a walk on these roads. When we are home alone Simon gets to sit on the verandah with me and talk to our outside birds who will come really close even with me sitting there.

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Sergei likes to talk to the big geese, but when all they do is honk back at him he yells Shut Up!
He whistles at the ladies we meet and chats with kids at the lake. I am working on getting Angel harness trained now so he can come too from now on.
20180911_183618_HDR.jpg

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Unfortunately, I can't do much walking anymore...in the "old" days I used to take the birds out for walks...in their travel cage in a cart...

aqualover9

Real Name
Adriana
Thanks to everyone that replied to my post! Could you guys recommend a harness for a linnie/small bird?