• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Video Tail bobbing/breathing

Happynme

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carmen
Hello everyone. Its been awhile since ive been on and i apologise for popping on just to ask a health question. Naturally monday I will take happy (lovebird) to vet if ness. But perhaps im over reaching. Does this look like normal breathing? I was thinking her tail is bobbing a bit but to be honest i sometimes see stuff that isnt there. Any help would be great.
Shes acting completely normal. Eating playing yelling kiss kiss at ear peircing decibles running ....her normal happy (pun intended) self.Droppings normal. No discharge on nose or beak. No vomiting. No sneezing or what not. She has Been a bit hormonal and has been releiving tension with one of her ping pong balls lol... and my house has been running a bit warmer last few days. Could she just be worked up and running a bit warm. Shes also in the midst of a molt and i think working on an egg eye roll. Girls! Thanks in advance. And not sure if matters but its more when shes perched on her sleep perch (which is the one in the video)
Dropbox - 20180422_031931.mp4

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Hmm I think it could be normal if she just exersised with the heat, but if she breathes like that when she is just relaxing, I think in that case it looks like her breathing is not entirely normal. I am not an expert at all, but neither of mine do that. Only when it is hot after flying a lot etc.
@Birdbabe @fluffypoptarts might know better!
Hope she is going to be okay!

Happynme

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carmen
Hmm I think it could be normal if she just exersised with the heat, but if she breathes like that when she is just relaxing, I think in that case it looks like her breathing is not entirely normal. I am not an expert at all, but neither of mine do that. Only when it is hot after flying a lot etc.
@Birdbabe @fluffypoptarts might know better!
Hope she is going to be okay!
Thank you. It seems to get better when she relaxes. This was after shed been playing ect. But ive not noticed her tail going down quite as far before although honestly i usually watch the other end of her when shes playing lol

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
That definitely doesn't normal look to me, I'm sorry to say. :( Like @TikiMyn said if she has just been exercising then maybe. Still keep a close eye on her. Maybe she's about to lay an egg? If been a long time since I've had a lovebird but i remember them panting and breathing funny just before laying an egg.

Good on you for catching it though it is subtle but I don't think its normal. If you don't think she's going to lay an egg and you can't explain why she's breathing like that, Id get to a vet asap. Especially if she continues to breath like that. I'm not an expert either but that's just what my gut tells me from watching the video

I wish you two the best of luck with it. I hope it's nothing serious
:sadhug2:

Happynme

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carmen
That definitely doesn't normal look to me, I'm sorry to say. :( Like @TikiMyn said if she has just been exercising then maybe. Still keep a close eye on her. Maybe she's about to lay an egg? If been a long time since I've had a lovebird but i remember them panting and breathing funny just before laying an egg.

Good on you for catching it though it is subtle but I don't think its normal. If you don't think she's going to lay an egg and you can't explain why she's breathing like that, Id get to a vet asap. Especially if she continues to breath like that. I'm not an expert either but that's just what my gut tells me from watching the video

I wish you two the best of luck with it. I hope it's nothing serious
:sadhug2:
Well i do think she has an egg in the shoot so to speak. Shes got what i refer to as egg butt look. Ill know in the next 24 hours if so. Im hoping thats her deal. Sadly ive never noticed how her breathing is while prEGGnant. I will deff pay more attention from now on.

Happynme

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carmen
Nervous even more now. Monday will be forever away

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
Well i do think she has an egg in the shoot so to speak. Shes got what i refer to as egg butt look. Ill know in the next 24 hours if so. Im hoping thats her deal. Sadly ive never noticed how her breathing is while prEGGnant. I will deff pay more attention from now on.
Yeah I think that could explain it :) I hope she lays it soon if that's the case. In my experience they tend to breath little funny right before they lay an an egg. But it was a long time ago and I didn't know what I know now. I wish I knew better back then.

Nervous even more now. Monday will be forever away
Sorry I wasn't trying to make you nervous. I'm no where near an expert but the video did have me worried. But knowing she's about to lay is a relief and the fact she was just playing it's adding up. Still keep a close eye on her just in case. Also try have a plan just in case of an emergency. It's better to know if there emergency vet around before you need one. And again this is just in case not that you will need one. Along as she's doing fine now and when she's resting then it doesn't sound like an emergency to me. :)

Happynme

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carmen
Yeah I think that could explain it :) I hope she lays it soon if that's the case. In my experience they tend to breath little funny right before they lay an an egg. But it was a long time ago and I didn't know what I know now. I wish I knew better back then.

Sorry I wasn't trying to make you nervous. I'm no where near an expert but the video did have me worried. But knowing she's about to lay is a relief and the fact she was just playing it's adding up. Still keep a close eye on her just in case. Also try have a plan just in case of an emergency. It's better to know if there emergency vet around before you need one. And again this is just in case not that you will need one. Along as she's doing fine now and when she's resting then it doesn't sound like an emergency to me. :)
No id rather be nervous yet aware than told its nothing and miss something. Im not 100 sure shes got an egg but im 90%. Shes acting like it. Im going to sit her in a warm bath in the morning to help ease her laying if she is having trouble. She lays rather large eggs for a lovie but has never had trouble passing any. It could be the egg is right where her belly is against the perch and this the slight issue. But either way if no egg in a day or so and if i see more of this im taking her in. If she lays or the issue goes away ill relax a little , but im still going to be nervous. Shes been very vocal and emergetic so im thinking shes not seeminh to be having a hard time breathing but at the same time something looked "off" to me about it so im glad i asked. Thank you so much for the help

Happynme

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carmen
Unfort emergency vet here is clueless on birds. Shell have to wait to see her normal dr on mon/tues

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Maybe take her into a hot shower:)(not into it of course! But let her perch where she can choose to be in the steam) Maybe that Will make her feel a bit better. It did help my cockatiel when he had breathing issues. Hope everything is going to be allright with your little girl, my lovies are both girls so no experience with eggs here.

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
No id rather be nervous yet aware than told its nothing and miss something. Im not 100 sure shes got an egg but im 90%. Shes acting like it. Im going to sit her in a warm bath in the morning to help ease her laying if she is having trouble. She lays rather large eggs for a lovie but has never had trouble passing any. It could be the egg is right where her belly is against the perch and this the slight issue. But either way if no egg in a day or so and if i see more of this im taking her in. If she lays or the issue goes away ill relax a little , but im still going to be nervous. Shes been very vocal and emergetic so im thinking shes not seeminh to be having a hard time breathing but at the same time something looked "off" to me about it so im glad i asked. Thank you so much for the help
I think that's a good additude to have. Better to be worried over something that could be small than miss something all together. I hope her issue passes. I rewatched the video and the beginning the tail bobbing is just slightly there and then it becomes more obvious. So personally I think something is up with her. But it could just be that she playing a little too hard while being pregnant.
Unfort emergency vet here is clueless on birds. Shell have to wait to see her normal dr on mon/tues
That sucks!! :( The closest emergency vet to me sometimes has someone on who know about birds or sometimes not. So it can be hit or miss for me. That's a definite downside to owning birds. Finding vet care when you need it can be a real struggle.

The one thing I'd add is you might want to put her in travel/sleep cage and have it in the same room you sleep. If that's possible. It's probably not necessary but the morning Zane died my biggest regret was that I didn't do that the night before. I thought about it the night before but didn't think it was necessary and he would be ok. Again I tend to be worry wart and don't want to make you more anxious but I don't want you to regret anything either. Its tough judgement call to make sometimes so try and go with your gut tells you. Good luck with her ❤ I think she should be fine. Just use your best judgement and hopefully others chime in with some more helpful advice :)

Happynme

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carmen
Maybe take her into a hot shower:)(not into it of course! But let her perch where she can choose to be in the steam) Maybe that Will make her feel a bit better. It did help my cockatiel when he had breathing issues. Hope everything is going to be allright with your little girl, my lovies are both girls so no experience with eggs here.
Well happy is a single female. But lays regardless . seems she deems me as mate enough and presents me with eggs occassionally. Unft she HATES the shower. But i can put her in her travel cage and steam the entire bathroom up. I did that once when i thought she was having trouble laying...turned out i was just off a day and she just needed another 12hrs to lay the next. I just checked on her. Shes sleeping and she seems to be ok. Normal breathing as far as i can tell. But im going to keep close eyes on her.

Happynme

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carmen
I think that's a good additude to have. Better to be worried over something that could be small than miss something all together. I hope her issue passes. I rewatched the video and the beginning the tail bobbing is just slightly there and then it becomes more obvious. So personally I think something is up with her. But it could just be that she playing a little too hard while being pregnant.

That sucks!! :( The closest emergency vet to me sometimes has someone on who know about birds or sometimes not. So it can be hit or miss for me. That's a definite downside to owning birds. Finding vet care when you need it can be a real struggle.

The one thing I'd add is you might want to put her in travel/sleep cage and have it in the same room you sleep. If that's possible. It's probably not necessary but the morning Zane died my biggest regret was that I didn't do that the night before. I thought about it the night before but didn't think it was necessary and he would be ok. Again I tend to be worry wart and don't want to make you more anxious but I don't want you to regret anything either. Its tough judgement call to make sometimes so try and go with your gut tells you. Good luck with her ❤ I think she should be fine. Just use your best judgement and hopefully others chime in with some more helpful advice :)
Im a worry wart too. Im sleeping in the recliner right now so i can get up and check on her. She isnt appreciating me moving her cover and looking at her every hr. I get the grumpy eye and "night night".."shut up" yelled at me. Sassy turd!

Happynme

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carmen
She looks eggy to me, can you feel her bum for the egg?
Not if i want to keep my fingers lol. But looking at her...she def looks eggy. I think shell lay tonight. If no egg by tomm and breathing still odd ill have to take her in. It comes and goes. She was breathing normal last post i made. But i checked on her earlier and a slight bob is back. So something is going on. Egg or respitory. So hoping just needs to lay

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
Hopefully it is just the egg coming. Sending good thoughts :sadhug2:

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
From the video, I’d be concerned. Not normal breathing - too heavy. If she hasn’t just flown a marathon and is doing this for long periods of time, it’s troubling. Still, the tail-bobbing would not be normal. I definitely see the tail-bobbing and I’d define this as labored breathing if I saw it in one of my own.

Last edited:

Happynme

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carmen
From the video, I’d be concerned. Not normal breathing - too heavy. If she hasn’t just flown a marathon and is doing this for long periods of time, it’s troubling. Still, the tail-bobbing would not be normal. I definitely see the tail-bobbing and I’d define this as labored breathing if I saw it in one of my own.
Thats what i thought. Looks like mon or tue will be vet trip if not better

Happynme

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carmen
Thats what i thought. Looks like mon or tue will be vet trip if not better. Thank you.