• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Surgery :( -GOOD UPDATE

GuineaPigster

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
I got off the phone with the vet a bit ago, and they vet said that they felt shell on Thursday.
They are worried the stress might have caused her to stop production. If she doesn't lay by 4pm, she is getting the egg surgically removed. I'm so scared for her, because I know surgery is hard for the little ones.
Can anyone please tell me if this plan sounds good, what are your experiences with egg removal surgery.
Thanks

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
You must be so worried :hug8: .
Emily had one stuck...xrays showed a hard calcified shell. My vet pressed it out under anesthesia with her fingers.

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
You must be so worried :hug8: .
Emily had one stuck...xrays showed a hard calcified shell. My vet pressed it out under anesthesia with her fingers.
Thank you for sharing your experience. Can you tell me more about this calcified shell? Thanks so much. :)

VictoriaVague

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Vikki
:hug8:

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
:hug8: :hug8: Hugs to you and E. Hoping all goes well :)

vmashley03

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria
That must be so scary for both of you! I think you are doing everything possible to help her! :hug8: :hug8:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Thank you for sharing your experience. Can you tell me more about this calcified shell? Thanks so much. :)
Well, it was a hard shelled egg and had been in her for 15 days and just getting bigger and bigger. It was low in her abdomen. The vet was very skilful and she moved it along the channel gradually and came out with gentle massage. She had to stretch the opening with an instrument I think. Emily had some tearing and bled a little for a day.

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey

I think sometimes they can suck out the insides of the egg and then pull it out. That might be what they do for soft eggs though.

I did see my vet massage one out of a chicken one day.

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you all for the reassurance.
I know several members have recently lost a bird while under anestesia. Is that only for high risk cases, or is it a valid fear. Is there a bigger chance she'd die from surgery than come out alive? :(

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
Thank you all for the reassurance.
I know several members have recently lost a bird while under anestesia. Is that only for high risk cases, or is it a valid fear. Is there a bigger chance she'd die from surgery than come out alive? :(

I think there are different levels of anesthesia. You need to discuss the risks and concerns with your vet. Having the egg stuck in here is dangerous also. Ask your vet outright what s/he would do if she were his/her bird.

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award

I think there are different levels of anesthesia. You need to discuss the risks and concerns with your vet. Having the egg stuck in here is dangerous also. Ask your vet outright what s/he would do if she were his/her bird.
Will do. :) Thanks!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
:hug8: :hug8: :hug8:

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran

suileeka

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
What does your vet have to say about the risks? According to the AMPA, birds undergoing anesthesia can be categorized as follows:

TABLE 39.2 Risk Classification of Potential Anesthesia Patients

Class I (minimal risk) Young, healthy patient undergoing an elective procedure.

Class II (some risk) Young, healthy patient undergoing a non-elective procedure, or a healthy patient undergoing an elective procedure.

Class III (risky) Patient with an ongoing health problem undergoing a procedure for this or another problem.

Class IV (very risky) Patient with a major health problem (unstable in nature) undergoing a procedure.

Class V (moribund) Last ditch effort to save bird’s life.

I lost two birds under anesthesia this year, but I would say one was between Class IV and V, and the other was definitely Class V. As scared as I am of surgery/anesthesia due to this (even though I know how unlikely survival was in both cases.. it still affects one emotionally), I wouldn't hesitate to have surgery done on a young healthy bird who needed an egg removed. :hug8:

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
What does your vet have to say about the risks? According to the AMPA, birds undergoing anesthesia can be categorized as follows:

TABLE 39.2 Risk Classification of Potential Anesthesia Patients

Class I (minimal risk) Young, healthy patient undergoing an elective procedure.

Class II (some risk) Young, healthy patient undergoing a non-elective procedure, or a healthy patient undergoing an elective procedure.

Class III (risky) Patient with an ongoing health problem undergoing a procedure for this or another problem.

Class IV (very risky) Patient with a major health problem (unstable in nature) undergoing a procedure.

Class V (moribund) Last ditch effort to save bird’s life.

I lost two birds under anesthesia this year, but I would say one was between Class IV and V, and the other was definitely Class V. As scared as I am of surgery/anesthesia due to this (even though I know how unlikely survival was in both cases.. it still affects one emotionally), I wouldn't hesitate to have surgery done on a young healthy bird who needed an egg removed. :hug8:
I am so, so sorry!! :hug8:Thank you for sharing that info and the experiences you've had. :)
I think she's probably between Class II and III.

RJ Noodle

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Zetra
Oh Pigster sending prayers, thoughts, vibes and :hug8: :hug8:To you and E!