• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Supplements? How much is too much?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
My soon to be 18 year old tiel gets daily probiotics per my vet's recommendation because he has trouble maintaining his "good" bacteria level. I also give him brewer's yeast when he's molting and if I'm worried about his stress level- like if I'm going away for a couple days, etc. And I'm comfortable with that. But I recently bought some other supplements and have been worried about giving them to him. I bought some milk thistle in part because before he came to live with us he was on an all seed diet and DMG because some members here speak very highly of it. But is that too much to give him? I know there aren't really any set guidelines but does anyone know of any info out there? Or what do you do? (And if it makes a difference, Sunny is relatively small for a tiel- he's only 74 grams.) His diet is good- he now eats vegetables, rice etc. and I think gets a good variety. Does he need supplements other than his probiotics? Is there such a thing as giving him too many supplements? Would love some input.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Thank you! How often do you give milk thistle?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Thank you! How often do you give milk thistle?
I give Jasper, 21 yo GW macaw, MT on a daily basis. She has liver damage from Fungal medications and her lack of circulation from congestive heart failure (reduces oxygen flow to all parts of the body).

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Milk thistle can be given twice per day, or 1 drop per 1 oz of drinking water, changed twice a day. Otherwise, it's .01 cc per 10 grams of body weight, from my understanding.

Doesn't hurt to ask an a-vet for confirmation though!

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have begun feeding Herb Salad. It is very good for birds and they self medicate, that is they usually eat what they need. The best organic herb salad can be found at Twin Beaks® Aviary - Animal self-medication - Natural, Organic and Holistic wellness for your pets. Just like people I think as birds age they need a little help with nutritional benefits. How much is too much? That is a good question. Just go for quality and organic.
Just wanted to mention that I had my Avian Vet look at Herb Salad many years ago and she told me there were three items in it that she would not recommend. I can't remember what they were, but next time you're into your vet you may want to ask about it to see what your vet thinks of it.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Thanks. Which herb salad was it, do you remember? There are quite a few on the market.

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks. Which herb salad was it, do you remember? There are quite a few on the market.
I guess I'm not up to date on the Herb Salads, I thought there was only one. The one I had my AV look at was the one sold at Twin Beaks.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
That seems to be the best of the herb salads.