• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Super easily frightened

echobird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ash
Echo has always been really easily frightened. It was really bad when i first got him but is less so, but still bad enough to cause stress. He has stress bars on his feathers. I dont know if they where caused from the stress of moving or happened later on. They are only on the tips of his feathers. He can be outside in his cage without being too frightened of a bird or butterfly flying over but he still gets startled. Today my sister made kissy noises at him to get his attention from across the room and he got scared. What are some ways to help him adjust to my bustling household? He also cries whenever he is alone in his cage. Could that also trigger stress? How can I get him used to being alone in the room?

Inky

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sarah Tidwell
This makes me wonder if birds react the same way dogs do in regards to 'pack' mentality...meaning, if the 'lead dog' is not concerned, then the more submissive/anxious dog is less likely to get worked up. Many times, people who have a chronically nervous/scared dog seek out a companion who is more confident to help boost their other dogs courage, so to speak. Also, engaging them in activities such as agility to boost their own confidence in a one-on-one setting.

Is Echo your only bird? ...I'm not saying you should run out and get another, by any means...But in my mind, a bird that instinctually relies on a flock to "lookout" for them, being alone could have an effect on them. It could be why he is more flighty, or scared.

Also, making a big deal out of his fright episodes can sort of reinforce his fear...like rushing to him, coddling, worrying over him, etc. They read your body language so profoundly, that this could worry him further. Also, when it comes to noises like kiss noises and things you *notice* freak him out, try integrating them into benign, good activities...such as making breakfast, building toys, cleaning the cage, etc...

With Doodle, when he takes off in fear of something, I just calmly go pick him up and set him right back where he was prior to his take-off. If he takes off and darts to me for 'comfort' I *still* set him calmly back where he was...and then go get him when he has settled down a bit. I don't know if this makes a difference...lol.

echobird

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ash
Thank you for replying! I will definitely not try an coddle him when he gets scared. Thats what we normally do, we cuddle him when he gets scared. He makes kiss noises to get our attention too so I dont know why he got startled. Yes, he is the only bird. In his previous home there was a lovebird but I dont know how much contact or association he got with it. I had been thinking of getting another bird but not so soon. Maybe next year. I do think he has that flock animal mentality as he cries and flock calls whenever he is alone. He doesnt even play with his toys. Will getting another bird help him adjust to being away from the humans?

Inky

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sarah Tidwell
I'm sure having another bird to talk to/interact with would lessen his boredom, but then you encounter the risk of him not getting along with said 'friend'... What I've often recommended people do if they are looking for a companion to a current bird is to look into some local bird rescues and offer to be a foster home. This way, you can see whether or not your bird would appreciate a friend, and he may just bond with what *he* considers the perfect buddy. You'd also be helping needy birds out, too.

Also...Not sure if this would help, but...Have you considered playing bird 'music'?

I downloaded about 20-30 tracks of wild bird calls, jungle ambient sounds, etc...I started playing them when I was fixing breakfast, then would leave it on when we went out early in the day. Since this winter he had to stay inside a lot due to the cold, this sort of provided him some 'entertainment' in the form of having birds to listen/talk to...like he would do when in his outside cage with all our wild birds here. I think it makes him feel less lonely overall...And its kind of fun to hear what calls he responds to and what calls he ignores or mimics.

echobird

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ash
Thank you for the advice. I too fear that he may not get along with another bird. I will definitely look into fostering. I do put bird music on for himbut only when i leave for a long period of time so i dont know how well he reacts to it. I will put it on tomorrow to see