• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sunflower seeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nargle

Walking the driveway
I know that sunflower seeds aren't the healthiest thing and they shouldn't make up the majority of your bird's diet, but Skittles LOVES them so I use them as a treat. I was wondering, though, how many sunflower seeds is too many for a Green Cheeked Conure to eat in a day?

Also, today I was playing a little game with Skittles. He kept climbing on the ground looking for something to peck at, so I put him on the couch (safer because I could see where he was) and tossed sunflower seeds to him (I was sitting in the armchair). He would run over and shell/eat the sunflower seed, then run back and wait for me to throw another one. On his way over to get the next sunflower seed that I threw on the couch, he'd run over and check all of the other spent sunflower seed shells one by one to make sure there wasn't any seeds left in them. :lol: It's pretty cute and he looks like he's having so much fun!

Just want to make sure this is a healthy treat for him, though, and if I should possibly switch to a different treat. He also gets a seed mix that's mostly millet with some safflower seeds, some sort of oats or grains, and more sunflower seeds, so when I do training with him or sprinkle a pinch of seeds in his cage as a treat, he's not just getting sunflower seeds. They're still his absolute favorite, though.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Sunflower seeds actually do have nutritional value, mostly in the oils. You just don't want to feed them as a main part of the diet. All the hoopla about them making birds nasty is total rubbish. I would think two or three a day for a Green Cheek would be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.