• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sulphur and moluccan hybrid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peanut

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Denise
Saw 2 of these babies today and they are gorgeous! Anybody own one? Would love to see pics of them as adults. Went to look at a macaw but those babies sure could change my mind. :)

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
Wow, never seen that kind of hybrid before.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Some of the hybrid cockatoos are pretty and even neat looking. But I personally would not recommend a cockatoo hybrid. Most hybrid cockatoos have a "bad" attitude, and hybrid 'too seem to pick up the "worst" traits from both parents. Most people cannot live with a regular 'too, a hybrid is twice as much as a regular 'too.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
they are gorgeous but I am with Mercedez on this one, I cannot imagine why ...especially a moluccan...

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Some of the hybrid cockatoos are pretty and even neat looking. But I personally would not recommend a cockatoo hybrid. Most hybrid cockatoos have a "bad" attitude, and hybrid 'too seem to pick up the "worst" traits from both parents. Most people cannot live with a regular 'too, a hybrid is twice as much as a regular 'too.
I will disagree here. Hybrids are hybrids, regardless of the family and you may end up with a better mix or a worse mix. I think it's just more acceptable to hybridize the Macaws. I fell head over heels in love with a Citron/Bare Eyed cross a long while back and they supposedly make a good hybrid. It's definitely going to be more of an individual bird thing than anything else.

4Z Birds

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Donna
Designer cockatoos? Why?

Sorry, I don't support breeding hybrids.

nellysmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Diane
WHY??? there are so many "regular" TOOs and other parrots that need homes and now they are doing this? Unbelievable!!! Especially since TOOs are the most relinquished birds. Stupid people.

4Z Birds

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Donna
WHY??? there are so many "regular" TOOs and other parrots that need homes and now they are doing this? Unbelievable!!! Especially since TOOs are the most relinquished birds. Stupid people.
From a rescue point of view, it seems unconscienable to breed hybrid cockatoos for profit. Hybrid or not, the statistics on rehoming will hold true. In a few years, when these adorable babies feel a surge of hormones and test their owners, they will be back on the market or in rescue.

The hybrids are beautiful. All cockatoo babies are creatures that I look at in awe; however, what's more magnificent than a Moluccan cockatoo in full display? Why do we, as man, want to tamper with a species? It tells of man's conceit.

Excuse me as I slink off of my soapbox...:cc2:

MoluccanZoey

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather
I would have to imagine the triton/moluccan as the loudest bird on earth, lol. Have you ever heard either/or going off? WOW! Its pretty impressive.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I will disagree here. Hybrids are hybrids, regardless of the family and you may end up with a better mix or a worse mix. I think it's just more acceptable to hybridize the Macaws. I fell head over heels in love with a Citron/Bare Eyed cross a long while back and they supposedly make a good hybrid. It's definitely going to be more of an individual bird thing than anything else.
Im just looking at the behavioral aspect of it.

A regular cockatoo is a hard bird to keep for even the more advanced parrot people.

When you hybrid 2 different species of cockatoos, its going to be hard to understand the behavior of the hybrid bird vs a normal purebred.

Take Mollucan cockatoos. They are unique in how they display, how they show they are hormonal, and everything about them is unique. Then breed them to another cockatoo species that is unique in its displays and how is shows its typical behavior, and you create a bird that is not "predictable". You read both info on the M2s and the SC2s, and both of these species are sooo different. It is nothing like breeding two different macaw species.

Its also not like hybriding two sulfur crested cockatoos that are of the the same species but different subspecies.\

Even if you bred the M2 with a U2 (which creates a Mobrella), both the U2 and the M2 are so different in personality, that its hard to read and understand the hybrid bird.

Now we have to look at each individual bird, and train and raise it accordingly to its personality, as no two birds are the same. But nonetheless, its harder to understand and handle a hybrid cockatoo.

Cockatoos are already classified as "WARNING" birds even for experienced parrot people, why make a bird that has a harder chance at adapting to a human house-hold because its so hard to understand and read?

I have never been around a M2/T2 hybrid. But I have been around Mobrellas and G2/U2 hybrids and BE2/G2 and U2/BE2 hybrids. And they are very different than their purebred relatives. I love them no matter what, but it can be tricky to read and understand a hybrid cockatoo.

JME.

Status
Not open for further replies.