• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Suggestions for making cholla perches - photos wanted!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrstweet

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
I found cholla that is the perfect size for a perch for my larger fid. It was 3.99 a piece! So now I just have to figure out the best way to make it into an actual perch. Any ideas? Maybe if you showed me how your cholla perch is constructed to attach to the cage?

I am so excited to try and make these!

HungryBird

This is what mine looks like but I bought it that way. Where did you get the cholla?

mrstweet

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
I found the cholla at Michaels. Can you tell me anything about how the hardware is attached to the perch?

HungryBird

I think they drill the screw part into the wood and then use the washers to hold it in place.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
I have a few made by Pet Products by Nature and what she does is she puts the hanger bolt into a really small dowel, then wedges the dowel into the center hole of the cholla :)

luvsgreys

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Stephanie
Thank you Coco, I was wondering how you could make it a perch since the center is hollow. That's a great idea! :highfive:

Compassion

Ripping up the road
Avian Angel
Real Name
Angela
Good luck making the perches! I wish I had got a bunch of Cholla perches before PPBN closed,but I only got one and next thing I knew she was closing shop before I could make another order. I went against my better judgment and ordered some from Dr Fosters and Smith and they don't even compare to the PPBN perch,they are so junky in comparison. I'd like to note my Cholla perches are only used outside of the cages,I've heard stories of toes getting caught so the birds only use them while supervised and we have never had a problem.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Good luck making the perches! I wish I had got a bunch of Cholla perches before PPBN closed,but I only got one and next thing I knew she was closing shop before I could make another order. I went against my better judgment and ordered some from Dr Fosters and Smith and they don't even compare to the PPBN perch,they are so junky in comparison. I'd like to note my Cholla perches are only used outside of the cages,I've heard stories of toes getting caught so the birds only use them while supervised and we have never had a problem.
Interesting
I have contemplated making cholla perches, but I won't

BTW a little OT
PPBN will not be making perches anymore, I bought the remaining stock of them.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I like to purchase my Perches from Exotic wood dreams. She custom makes them and she uses 2 inch Stainless steel washers if you request for it.
I can't use anything smaller.:D

Harley's Mom

Ripping up the road
Avian Angel
Real Name
Kathy
I have one that goes almost all the way across Amos cage, approx 30 inches long. It has two bolts in the one end, one in the center and one beside it just enough so the bolts go through a couple of separate bars.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
I like to purchase my Perches from Exotic wood dreams. She custom makes them and she uses 2 inch Stainless steel washers if you request for it.
I can't use anything smaller.:D
I love her perches, but she doesn't do cholla :(

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I love her perches, but she doesn't do cholla :(
I couldn't use Cholla PERCHES cause it would get chewed up:lol:... hey have you offered Cholla to Lola?:D

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
I couldn't use Cholla PERCHES cause it would get chewed up:lol:... hey have you offered Cholla to Lola?:D
Lola ADORES her cholla perch!!! I got a VERY thick and chunky one from Barbi that she doesn't bother to chew :p

mrstweet

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
Thank you for the suggestion coco...we were thinking about prtting some kind of dowel in there for stability.

mrstweet

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
Thanks for the up close of the way it attaches to the cage. It looks like there is a piece there that is pretty solid that they were able to put the nuts and bolts through to hold it up. I might have to stick to the shoving a dowel in there option!

Status
Not open for further replies.