• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Suggestions Appreciated

Alioop

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Alicia
I wrote an email to the S.O. vet (Second Opinion), who is currently in charge of Mo's case. She thinks that the extreme stress of being handled so much on Friday sets her off so badly that it makes it harder for her to mask the fact that she's got some neurological issues/disease. Or, again, it could've been a mild seizure. I can tell you that the good news is she is finally back to her normal weight as of this morning! (YAY!!!) The not-so-good news is that she is again very quiet, lethargic, deliberate in her walking, uncoordinated and sleepy. So, she may have had another seizure Friday night/early Saturday morning. Honestly, this little bird just breaks my heart.
I'm really hoping over the next month or so she greatly improves and that her motor skills return to what they previously were. I have not one, but TWO weddings out of state that I cannot miss. I imagine she will still be on meds then, so I've decided to board her at her primary vet's. They are willing to take care of her while I'm gone. I know it's terribly stressful for her to be there, but at least there, they can handle an emergency, and she will get her meds like she's supposed to and likely be fed on schedule. I cannot guarantee that if I leave her home with the men of the house. Sheesh! I'm already having anxiety over this and it's not till early February and then late March! :arghh:

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
I know. If I need to be out of town or hospitalized, Merlin will need to be boarded at the vet's as well. It is stressful to think about.

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
:hug8: :hug8: :hug8: :hug8: :hug8:

Alioop

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Alicia
I hope everyone had a wonderful New Years. As mentioned earlier when I took Mo in for her follow-up appointment on Friday, the 27th, the stress was just too much for her. She ended up having seizures again throughout the weekend, and had a really bad case of vomiting as well. Between the seizures, loss of appetite and vomiting, by Sunday, she had dropped 14g of the 34g she struggled so hard to gain. Test results came in on Monday and her WBC was at the high end of the normal range so the vet thought it best to keep her on the meds (anti-fungal and anti-bacterial) for a couple more weeks, and we will be keeping her on the Celebrex for at least another month. She was really lethargic and her movements quite deliberate, as if she's taking extra care so as not to fall, and had relatively low appetite - not that she's a big eater to begin with. The last couple of days, I decided I'd try adding a couple of drops of some Rescue Remedy, combined with Scleranthus Bach flower diluted in Spring water to her food, on her almonds, a couple of times per day, based on the book, Bach Flower Remedies for Animals. I have noticed an improvement in her. While she's still wobbly, she doesn't seem as lethargic and is again becoming more vocal. Her activity level is beginning to pick up and she's been climbing up and down her cage, and has even flown a bit around the room. She's picked up a little more interest in food, so we are again slowing putting on some weight.
So, I'm considering two things: 1. Seeing if the vet is willing to make a house call, so she can observe her in her own environment and maybe do the blood draw here and taking it back to the office with her. At this point, I'd be willing to pay for the house call! My concern is that I will make progress with her over the course of the next two weeks, only to have another dramatic setback once I take her into the vet's office again. I may email her to see if she's open to trying this.
The second thing I'm considering is trying to find a reliable, trustworthy pet/house sitter, that is proficient with birds and would be able to come to the house to feed Mo and give her her meds while I'm away. I'm wondering if any of you have done this in the past - hired a sitter for your bird - or have you all just boarded your birds? The S.O. vet does not do avian boarding, only dog and poss. cat. I have the option of boarding her at her old vet's (her regular vet), and I know they would take care of her and handle any emergency that came up. But, my concern is that they might have an emergency on their hands. Because of the change in environment, seeing nothing but strangers, being in a cage that's not her own, being locked up all day, except for being handled at least twice per day for the meds, she might go into seizures and also stop eating. So, again, I am afraid for her health and happiness while I am gone - and I don't have a choice but to leave town since my sister-in-law is getting married in Feb. and my youngest boy in April. Then, I have the periodic visits out of town to check on my mom. I thought if I could find someone reliable, at least she'd still be in her own environment, and possibly have someone who can feed her closer to her usual schedule, instead of all over the map when I'm gone.
If any of you live in the N. Dallas (way north), do you know of anyone who pet sits that is really good with birds? Does anyone have any recommendations as to how I could go about finding a reliable bird sitter? I feel like this might be a viable option.
Thanks in advance.

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
:hug8:

The house call is a good idea and I hope your vet can do it.

I'm glad she's improving now :)

I wish I was close by to do the pet sitting.

Cara

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara MacKay
Happy New Year!

I think finding a sitter than can come to the house is definitely worth it. Even if they can't have her out of the cage as much as usual, just being in her own environment will be better. Maybe one of the vet techs at your old vet? It sounds like taking her to the vet is so stressful, especially if they aren't really coming up with solid answers. It would be great if they'd come to the house to observe her. I know that the WBC can also elevate slightly due to stress, so they might get a more accurate reading if they come to the house to draw blood.

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
Wow Alicia You and Mo have been having a time :hug8:I also would try to get the Vet to make a house-call-it would be so much better for Ms Mo.Lord I wish I lived closer-I would Bird sit for Mo in a heartbeat :hug8: :hug8: :hug8:

Alioop

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Alicia
Bonnie and Audrey, don't think I didn't wish the same thing! :) I posted on the TX BARF blog I belong to also and got a couple of emails. One doesn't pet sit 'professionally' but has 5 birds ranging from 'tiels to Macaw, so she has experience and said she might be willing to help, but I haven't heard back from her again. Another emailed me to let me know about the pet/house sitter she uses and that she believes has experience with avian as well and was forwarding my email to her. Haven't heard back from her either.
I understand it's a huge responsibility, particularly with birds because they can be so very delicate - much more complicated than dogs or cats.
I am also going to speak to both the vets offices, to see if one of their techs does bird sitting as a sideline. Maybe I'll luck out. Thanks for the suggestion, Cara.