• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Suddenly Energetic

RadLad

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
RadLad
I'm so concerned.

My 2 month old cockatiel just suddenly started pacing really fast and climbing the cage walls frantically. He also started to scream. Out of nowhere, he just began to show unsual high levels of energy. And he won't stop screaming.

What could've happened to him?

(Before this, I changed his diet from millet to chia and flax seeds, with lots of pellets.)

TikkiTembo

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Chelsea
Our cockatiel climbs his cage and yells when he wants to come out and play. You've only had him for a little bit, right? Has he had a vet check up to rule out any health concerns? If you know he's healthy, then you can try different things to figure out his behavior. ☺

Tara81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
:(

It sounds like he is starving. Please give back his millet. Please do not switch his diet unless you are sure he is eating it. There is nothing wrong with millet. I don't know anyone who doesn't feed their birds some millet. Most pellets are made with millet proportions.

If your bird does not recognize a new food as food, you cannot take away the old food.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Did you change his food slowly over time, and has he eaten enough of his new diet? Tiels do this when they are angry or frustrated. He might want to come out, he might be hormonal, he might be hungry, etc.

RadLad

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
RadLad
Hi! He's calmed down a few minutes after I posted this.

But when I switched his diet he immediatly started to eat from it. I made sure to leave millet seeds in the new diet as well. I'm pretty sure he likes his new diet, but I will continue to keep the millet seeds as well.

He'd walk right up to me when I sit down next to his cage, even if he's at the far side from me.
Here he is looking sleepily. Still afraid of my phone.
20190619_120059.jpg

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Any chance something outside the window startled your tiel?

RadLad

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
RadLad
Any chance something outside the window startled your tiel?
He'd get really territorial (cage climbing and screaming) when he sees birds fly near his cage, is all I can say. But it was just so sudden, and I did not see or hear any birds from outside when this happened.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
That doesn't exactly sound like "cage territorial" behavior...

It could have been a shadow, or even a reflection of something shiny. Heck, even a floofy from the bird could be enough to startle a bird and make them frantic!

AmyJas

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Amy
You should feed your baby millet daily or another source of high-fat foods for at least the first six month because your bird is still growing. However, that doesn't mean you can't vary his diet by offering lots of healthy food as well. My baby tiel eats a mix of seeds, pellets, dried veggies and fruits as well as millet spray and fresh leafy greens and veggies on clips. I am also trying to introduce her to wet foods as well.

Your bird could have been upset due to the change in food or if this was at night time it could have been a night fright. If it was day time, he could have wanted out of his cage or possibly have been startled by something. Some 'tiels scare easily.