• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Suddenly different

Milestone

Sprinting down the street
Hi, Birdy is being strange all sudden. Well actually I've seen him change over the past two weeks. But he is more hand shy now. He has always been hard to make step up but now he doesn't want to be on my hands and refuses to step up for me to get him off my shoulder. He won't even come to spray millet. It's like he's a different bird. I've been more busy lately and as a result have not had him out as much. Could that be it? He also is biting me more, it's like every few mins I get a little pinch. I really need to reverse this, I'm getting hurt and frustrated also. I need some advice. How do I put him back in his cage if he's afraid of my hands? How long should I be with him each day? And how do I stop him from always jumping on my shoulder?

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If you're not holding him much, that could do it. You need to be consistent regardless of being busy.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
You can perch train him. Get him to step up on a perch held in your hand than back to cage with a treat also in your hand, even if he does not eat it. Lots of love and attention and treats goes a long way.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
:bump4:

metalstitcher

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
You need to try and been with him as much as you can during the day when you are home. He is letting you know he does not like being ignored or neglected. They take that as a serious offense trust me I know first hand when I went away just over night Gracie wouldn't let me near her for a week. You need to work with him to gain his trust again and show him you are not going to neglect him no matter how busy you are. I know life happens but you have to make time for him. I make time for my fids even if it cuts into my sleep so they know I haven't forgotten about them.