• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Sudden swollen eye

DabidOs

Checking out the neighborhood
My little guy Charlie (4 years old) was completely fine a very short while back but when i've returned him to hang out on the cage i saw his left eye was swollen and red (which now is less red).
i've read around that of course i should contact a vet which i cannot at the time given and maybe try out eye wash but decided to try my luck in posting about it.
for maximum context he was hanging around under our couches - so maybe some dust got in and caused an irritation,
one of the dogs was playing with him so maybe he was hit with one of the claws which i doubt because he always keeps his distance but in a one second that i looked away anything could have happened.

so if anyone have any helpful information, tips or had/known a similar situation i'd be most grateful <3

Attachments

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Oh my goodness, I'm sorry, this definitely needs a veterinarian, this is not minor. Most likely needs antibiotics, without risk loosing eye or life of bird.

Dogs and cats carry nasty bacteria, especially pasteurella which can be deadly to birds. Nearly all cats carry this bacteria, and about half of dogs. Please never allow interaction between dogs and birds. I have dogs, I have and and continuously work to prevent any interaction. I work on training with the dogs and with the parrots . Never unsupervised. I don't care how sweet or great dogs are , things happen. We sadly hear of so many deaths! Or permanently maimed birds.

even if this is not dog related. He has gotten a scratched cornea and infection. Or even just a primary infection. This is extremely painful to them. Eye injury and or eye infection are extremely painful to all of us creatures .

eyes are always vets , it's way to serious

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Birds should never play with dogs. The size difference alone, for one. Then there’s the delicacy of birds and the fact that dogs are predators. Plus the bacteria issue as mentioned by Pixie.

I would say vet as well. No messing around with eyes and possible exposure to bacteria.