• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Sudden sick(?) cockatiel in my home

wkaxka

Sitting on the front steps
Hi everyone!

I'm not sure if this is an emergency exactly but it feels like an urgent situation to me because it was just sprung on me and I don't know what to do, and really would appreciate urgent answers.

I currently have three parrots at home - a 12 yr old budgie, and two Quakers (1 and 2 yrs old). My housemate suddenly called me and said he was rescuing a cockatiel from a bad situation and he'll be home in half an hour. I was asking so many questions but he didn't have answers to any of them, he just said he had to save this cockatiel's life. I set up a travel cage I bought last year but hadn't used yet.

He just came home with this cockatiel in a box and it very clearly isn't well. It has NO feathers on its head, except for the crest feathers. The rest of the feathers are present, but the wing feathers are wonky and obviously unhealthy, the nails are black (a liver issue?) and it seems to be missing a toe - or, at least the nail part. The poor thing is obviously very stressed right now so I won't examine its body close up tonight.

I'm so stressed because I suddenly have this bird and I don't know if it has something contagious and my other birds are at risk - I also don't have the money to deal with any health issues it may have right now. Due to Covid and my own weak immune system, I have been inside for *five months*, and obviously don't have an income. And already dealing with the stress of having a sick budgie (non-contagious, and no longer actively undergoing expensive treatment, but we do get scares sometimes and it's sad to see when she's having a bad time). I'm freaking out so badly because I don't know how to help this bird or the risk it poses to my pets.

I would love to welcome it to be a part of my flock but I'm so startled by the lack of head feathers. Do you think this could be Beak and Feather disease? Or what do you think? This is what I am most worried about, that it's something contagious.

I'm not sure if the issue with communication was because of my housemate, or the owner, but I asked so many questions and the most info I have managed to gather is:

- this cockatiel was living in a cage with another bird
- this owner only had the bird for 3 weeks
- apparently she only wanted to buy the other bird, but was pressured into buying them both as they were called a pair, but then they proceeded to fight every day. I have no idea if this is true, and I was initially told she got them from a pet shop, but I also don't think that is reliable because what pet shop is selling a bird in this condition? and as a pair? I can't tell what age it is, but I don't think baby birds are typically in this state either.

I'm so stressed right now. What do you think I should do? What *can* I do? The bird is in the travel cage in my bedroom right now, while the other birds are in two other rooms - but it's a small apartment, I have to believe that if there is a contagious disease, the whole place will be contaminated very quickly even if I make an effort to quarantine.

Thank you so much for your time. I'm so sorry this is all over the place.

(Also, I live in a very small country and there is no parrot rescue, or any rescue that accepts birds, not that I would necessarily want to do that, I just want to give some context ahead of time. There is also only one avian vet in the country - yes, one - almost 2 hours from my house, who works very irregular hours, and I have no idea if they are even working now during the pandemic. I assume yes, but I don't know when/how often)

wkaxka

Hello,

I have extremely suddenly become the owner of a cockatiel. I have no info on gender, age, or life experience except that it lived with another bird for at least 3 weeks.

It arrived tonight, and is completely bald on its head and neck - but it still has its crest.

I'm very worried about the health of this cockatiel, and moreover if this is a contagious disease and my other birds are at risk.

Does anyone know why a cockatiel might be bald all over its head and neck but still have its crest, and the rest of its feathers?

I wasn't able to get a picture or analyse it too closely because ofc, the poor thing is very stressed so I want to let it relax a little, but I did see that the wings also look in bad condition - but all the feathers seem to be there, so I'm not sure if it's something related, or just due to being stuck inside a cage for a long time.

I've read anything from this being PBFD, to it being a hormonal thing, to this being the result of the other bird plucking the feathers out. Some people say the feathers will come back and others say they're gone forever. Of course I'd prefer if they come back, but ultimately I am mostly worried about this being a contagious disease that will put the rest of my birds at risk. Otherwise, I will care for this bird with whatever issues it may have, although I'm worried about vet fees as I have no income atm.

Thank you SO much for any input you may have, I'm in a panic right now.

Yoshi&Raphi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
There’s many different possibility’s and I’m not experienced enough to give you a accurate enough answer. Can you get the bird to a vet and isolate them from your other birds in the meantime?

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Sounds like the tiel was picked on and plucked from another bird,,,and stress could be a factor in the feather condition, let the baby settle in for a few days, and take him/ her for a wellness check if you can.. :hug8:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Sounds to me like the other bird plucked its feathers. This is common ( and I could be wrong of course) but it often happens when cockatiels are fighting.

You are wise to keep your other birds separate though.

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Can we see pics of the bird? That would help a lot.

wkaxka

Hi guys, thank you for your input.

Yes, it was framed to me that this bird picked on the other one, but I think this one is absolutely the victim of bullying. I'm doubtful that it was plucked by the other bird (although this would be best case scenario, because she can recover here in peace) because it's total feather loss from the neck and head, and I feel like if it was another bird, it would be such a complete and clean job - and also I struggle to understand how the previous owners could sit by and let this happen to the point of baldness.

So I'm leaning towards it being a disease/genetic issue, which scares me a lot. Unfortunately I live in a very small country with only one avian vet who keeps very irregular hours, 2 hours outside of my city. So I will have to phone on Monday and see if they are even working during the pandemic.

The little thing is in my bedroom right now, while my other birds are in the other two rooms in the apartment. So it's an attempt at a quarantine, but I worry that the whole apartment will be contaminated anyway just because of how small the space is. As we speak (about 13 hours since she arrived), this little bird is finally eating something, which is a relief.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Threads merged to contain all information and responses in one place.

Reactions: Ali