• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sudden male aggressiveness

BayDj

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Borja
Hi everyone. I have a bonded pair of cockatiels, male and female, been with me for almost 3 years now, both tame, always wanting to hang out with me, asking for scratches etc etc. Lately the male has been a bit unruly, I'm guessing hormones, so today he just refused to step up so I could set him back in the cage, so I had to grab him with a towel to put him back in. Since that moment, all he does is chase the female around the cage and won't stop, for what I've researched, he now sees me as a menace and tries to keep her away from me, wich seems a bit extreme for me, since I've had him for a few years now and has never been aggressive with me, except maybe the first few weeks after I got hom home. Right now I've housed him in a different cage next to their usual cage, but I'm worried about how long this behavior may last, or if my assessment is correct for that matter. Do you guys have any insight that could help me? Thanks in advance.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
My guess is it's hormones. It's that time of year in a lot of places. You can try increasing his hours of sleep/darkness by 2 hours for a couple of weeks to see if he calms down.

Madday1234

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mad
Does he sing a lot more? My cockatiel always tries to bite me when he is singing or talking a lot for some reason.

Pie

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
if this lasts long, i would love to see what answers you get. my untame male was good with my females for years, but just about a year and a half ago he turned super aggressive, possessive and mean. he got so bad he started plucking my females and my youngest got incredibly depressed. i had to buy a new cage that allows me to split the thing from the middle, and my females have been incredibly happy after the change since they can now choose do they want to interact with the male through the cage or do they want to stay away (the male no longer is allowed to be out with the females, last 3 times i let him out he immediately attacked the females with force)

MrsTreb

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Marnie Trebilcock
I have a 2-year-old tiel who has been particularly aggressive launching himself at my face claws and beak, when I put him to bed. Which usually is around 5:00 p.m. and he doesn't get up until 8:00 a.m. so he is getting (what I believe to be an appropriate darkened sleep time) in his backpack. He is particularly territorial around his backpack and as soon as I try to put anything inside & to secure the PVC window. The biting, flight at my face & claw scratching start, not because he's been closed in; but because I dared to touch his bag.
The reason he attacks my face is because I use a wheelchair and my face is the height he is best able to launch himself at. The actions have drawn blood, as he was able to bite inside my nostril.
It is difficult to change the location of the backpack due to my need to be able to reach it, so relocating to another room is not an option and I do not have anyone who can do the night feed for me as it's just him and me most evenings.
I make "bird tricks" seasonal feeding program, vegetable chop for breakfast & make the cockatiels seed mix on their website for bedtime meal feed. Due to many of my physical limitations I believe he sadly has the "rule of the so-called roost". To add to the situation he is also molting at the moment.
A distraught and battered bird parent
TIA for advice.