• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sudden Death of Green Cheek

denises

Moving in
Real Name
Denise Sieber
Hello everyone. Yesterday my son came home to find his beloved Ali deceased at the bottom of her cage. She would have been 4 in April 2022. She has shown no signs of illness and was perfectly fine when he left that morning. When he found her, her feet were clinging to the sides of the cage, as her body laid on the cage floor. There were no chemicals, cleaners, candles, any thiing like that within her proximity at any time. He showed her to me before we brought her for cremation, and she has an odd lump in her lower neck area. It was not there when my son left in the morning. Any idea what could have caused this? He is thinking she may have slipped from her top perch and hit something on the way down, breaking her neck. To me, it looks like a bite, but we are in NY and there really aren't many insects this time of year. Has anyone seen anything like this? or had something like this happen? My son is devasted not knowing what happened to her. I have attached a close up pic of the bump on her. Thank you in advance for any input on this.

Attachments

Olliebirb

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
I have no idea but I am so sorry for your loss hopefully others will be along with answers possibly :sadhug2:

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
I'm afraid all we can do is speculate. If you haven't already buried Ali's body, you can freeze it, and call a vet to see if they can perform a necropsy. That will get you more of an idea.

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm so sorry about your sweet Green Cheek! I lost a budgie suddenly and unexpectedly last year. I wrapped his little body in a wet paper towel and placed him in a ziplock baggie in the refrigerator. I found someplace to take him for a necropsy the next day. I'm afraid that having a necropsy performed is really the only way to know exactly what happened.

It could have been anything from an injury to a tumor, and as Peachfaced said, we can only speculate.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Could it be the crop? Especially if there was anything in there, it can ferment and cause gases which would make a "lump".

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
I'm so sorry for your loss, I wish I could but I don't know. :sadhug2:

denises

Moving in
Real Name
Denise Sieber
I'm so sorry about your sweet Green Cheek! I lost a budgie suddenly and unexpectedly last year. I wrapped his little body in a wet paper towel and placed him in a ziplock baggie in the refrigerator. I found someplace to take him for a necropsy the next day. I'm afraid that having a necropsy performed is really the only way to know exactly what happened.

It could have been anything from an injury to a tumor, and as Peachfaced said, we can only speculate.
Unfortunately, we didn't even know the word necropsy until after we had already dropped Ali off at the Pet Cemetery for cremation. Sorry to hear about your budgie. Were you able to find out what ever happened to him from the necropsy?

denises

Moving in
Real Name
Denise Sieber
I'm afraid all we can do is speculate. If you haven't already buried Ali's body, you can freeze it, and call a vet to see if they can perform a necropsy. That will get you more of an idea.
Unfortunately, we have already brought her to be cremated. I know it is not the same as a hands on exam from the vet, but, I did send her vet a picture of that bump/lump to see if it could possibly mean anything.

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Unfortunately, we didn't even know the word necropsy until after we had already dropped Ali off at the Pet Cemetery for cremation. Sorry to hear about your budgie. Were you able to find out what ever happened to him from the necropsy?
I adopted my little Kuiper at the same time as Opie (my Cherry Headed Conure). He didn't seem to have any friends in the budgie cage, so I just had to bring him home, too. To ultimately join my two blue budgies. The autopsy revealed that he died of intestinal torsion, which is apparently very rare in such small birds. In the few months that he was in my home, I also realized he didn't see very well. He was diagnosed as blind in one eye with limited vision in the other. He had been found outside and turned into the parrot rescue. Poor little man had several health issues, apparently.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I am very sorry for your loss.

denises

Moving in
Real Name
Denise Sieber
I adopted my little Kuiper at the same time as Opie (my Cherry Headed Conure). He didn't seem to have any friends in the budgie cage, so I just had to bring him home, too. To ultimately join my two blue budgies. The autopsy revealed that he died of intestinal torsion, which is apparently very rare in such small birds. In the few months that he was in my home, I also realized he didn't see very well. He was diagnosed as blind in one eye with limited vision in the other. He had been found outside and turned into the parrot rescue. Poor little man had several health issues, apparently.
Aw. Glad you were able to get an answer on what happened. Poor little budgie.

denises

Moving in
Real Name
Denise Sieber
Could it be the crop? Especially if there was anything in there, it can ferment and cause gases which would make a "lump".
I will have to google that! Thank you.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am sorry for your loss.

A.K

Sprinting down the street
Sorry for your loss. Like Mizzely said, I think there might have been something wrong with the crop.

Aksarben

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Vernon
Sorry to hear. It is odd that the feet were clinging to the side of the cage, almost instinctive reflex from a seizure. No, I am not saying he had a seizure, but it would be odd for a bird to cling to the side of the cage like that.
Very sorry to your loss.