• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sudden aggression/biting.

CaptnLars

Checking out the neighborhood
So, I've had my male green-cheeked conure Jock, for a little over 2 years now. At first, he wanted nothing to do with me, but with constant exposure, he's warmed up to me the past couple months. For awhile he'd play with me, preen, dance, take food from my hands, and sit on my shoulder. He has a conplete diet (fresh fruit and vegetables, as well as seed) and is a perfect weight. He'd occasionally bite me with enough force to make me bleed, but it was only ever focused on my hands/fingers. And even then it was only once every couple weeks.
But in the past week he's become much more aggressive, especially towards my face. He's bitten my nose, my lips twice, he's also almost bitten through my earlobe. All of these bites have drawn blood, it's not playful. Every time I'll wrap him up in a shirt (because if not he'll bite the hell out of hand) and put him in his cage. Today I took him out and tried to handle him without him being anywhere near my face or shoulders, and he crawled under my shirt and bit my stomach. Each time he's done this, he's held on and I've had to pry him off me to get him to let go.
I'm unsure of what to do. He doesn't respond to any sort of positive reinforcement with anything less than more aggression. What can I do to get him to stop?

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
:welcomesign:

It can be a little tricky to advise on behavior just from text, and not seeing how the 2 of you interact.

2 is not the magic hormonal puberty age in little green cheeks or smaller birds. They actually hit puberty around 6 months and can be reproductive the first year.

What has probably happened is broken trust. The grabbing and wrapping up to put back in cage would do it , but something earlier probably caused it. I have also broken my geen cheeks trust , a couple of times in our ten years together. And yes their bites hurt , and nearly always draw blood

The good news , is you can earn that trust back ! One way is to start over. Let go of all your past with this bird, do that thing humans can do forgive and forget. And pretend you have just brought this bird home , you don't know anything about it , and you want to earn his trust , and learn to ready his body cues.

Spend the time sitting next to the cage and talking, read your texts out loud . Don't just sit and stare, have something you are doing, but check in and include him here and there,hs d out treats.

For GCC I find safflower seeds,the little white ones are like crack . They love them

If you can't hand to him and him take nice right now. Then get a tiny little dish that is a treat only dish , to drop one in .

Like with a new bird , go over and say hello and give treat , a bunch , like aim for 20 or more times a day at first.

I've bribes and praised my way back into many w birds heart. While also respectful of their body language teaching them they can trust me because I trust and listen to them .

My GCC is to worked up to touch as soon as I ket her out of cage I talk to her first outside of cage . Then I open door and ket her come out in her own , and go to a perch I've got in the outside of the cage. Then I chat with her some more . Maybe hand a seed . Then After she has calmed down a little I have her step up to hang out.

More later , going to grab my dinner

Plus we have others who will have advice

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Oh jeez! How old is he? You've had him 2 years, and he only warmed up to you in the last few months? What was he like prior to warming up?