• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Stunted baby need advice.

❤️TACO

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi. Just want to start by saying that this is not my first time hand feeding . I am not a breader.
A pair of cockateils that I took in and are very much bonded are egg layers and amazing parents had 4 babies who hatched starting Sept 29 ,30, Nov 3, and 4th. Everything was fine and they were doing great but sadly I had a friend over who opened the window beside the cage ,while I was gone to the store. When I got home I could tell something was wrong because both parent where out of the cage. I went and checked on the babies ,what I saw broke my heart the to oldes where dead and the to smallest where barley alive .I quickly set up my Incubator . As I was placing them in the incubator one took its last breath in my hands .the smallest ND last chick was barley alive .I placed him in the incubator . I didn't think he would make it but he slowly came around and is now 40 days old . He is growing but very slowly.
He has a stretched crop which I had put a crop bra on him ( the I saw on here).for about 2 weeks .I took it off 2 days ago because it wasn't fitting right any more his body is growing funny .and I am unable to get the fit right.( crop is still stretched. He was very dehydrated and purple in colour for a long time . So I took some more tips from here . I used coconut water to make his food for about a week. And I also gave him a spice recipe for about 5 days that I saw on another thread about stunted babies. He is now a normal color and is very active .but is very tiny . I just weight him . he is 48 grams and that is will a little food still in crop as it can't empty fully do to being stretched. His feather finally started coming in a few days ago. He started flapping his wings yesterday and pecking at the millet I have place on the floor of his cage . OK sorry this is so long . What I am trying to ask is there something else I should do to help him gain weight faster. Every day he gains weight it's just not very much . 1/2 gram to a 1,1/2 grams .there are no avian vets .so thought I would ask here.

Attachments

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
I would seek a veterinarian consult. Stunting can be related to a chronic infection, with crop issues a crop yeast or bacterial infection is a real possibility.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Is the chicks crop emptying every 24 hours completely?
Also, the chick shouldn't be in a cage with a pretty bare back. They need a critter carrier lined with wood shavings. You can even drill holes in a large tupperware box. Use aspen shavings, coarse pine if no aspen available. (avoid fine pine, and never use cedar)

something else I should do to help him gain weight faster. Every day he gains weight it's just not very much
As long as his crop movement is continuous, and it empties once per day entirely, and he is gaining weight each day, then just continue. Take each day as it comes.
I feel this set up is not ideal and could be causing the slow growth (lack of heat, humidity)

If the crop is not emptying completely, you must seek veterinary assistance. If you have no vet near you, you may have luck with a local breeder. If they can't/don't want to help, they should be able to recommend someone to call.

❤️TACO

I just moved him to the cage . He still has his heat lamp and thermometers so I can watch the temp the 3 sides are covered . I know how to deal with sour crop . I'm just wondering if there are other things I can do for the weight . He eats well i do not have access to a proper vet . And the vets i do have access to will not take birds.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
'm just wondering if there are other things I can do for the weight
Not really. Feeding as per package instructions (not too thin, not too cold), being sure the feeding schedule is correct (that the chicks is not emptying their crop more than once per day). Keeping the little one warm. Keeping the temperatures steady is also key. Fluctuations lead to crop issues, it can slow the digestion. Humidity is another important factor to monitor you want it to be between 60-65%.

I had a little one who grew very slowly. Feathers grew in well later than average, gained weight slow, weaned slow, and in the end she was ok. So it's definitely not all doom and gloom, but it's really important to be vigilent and keep track of brooder temp and humidity, food temp and consistency.

❤️TACO

Thank you everyone for your advise.from what I can tell I'm doing everything I'm supposed to so that make me feel better. I guess I'm adding a new baby to my flock. Cause I have fallen in love with him or her .I accidently named him ,the wife is not happy lol

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
You can look at Merk Veterinarian manual, listed causes of stunting include a low level chronic infection .
With history of over stretched crop, and food retention or thickening , it's very common to have an infection. Sometimes the only indication of this , is the stunting..
I very much wish you did have access to a veterinarian, because identified and treatment prevents life long problems.

Excerpt:
" 3. Medical condition preventing the normal digestion and absorption process (low grade toxicity i.e. visceral and articular gout, vitamin D3 toxicity; bacterial and fungal infections [ e. coli, candida], viruses i.e. Papova, and burned crops)."