• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

STUFF (small beak-friendly things)

orphansparrow

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
Look at our new haul from My Safe Bird Store :highfive:

I don't usually buy a ton of stuff at once, but they were having a good sale not too long ago, so we stocked up. I was worried for a while that our package got stolen, as the tracking said it was delivered 5 days before I saw it. It turned out it was delivered to our neighbors, so we finally got it after all. :laugh:

Those larger shredders on the far left are what I call Duckie's "snuggle buddies". They are her all time favorite to snuggle with/shred. She sleeps curled up with them at night.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Oh those are all nice things. One time I bought something on Groupon and it went 10 days, never heard a word. I traced the tracking number and it was delivered in Texas for some reason. Had a heck of a time getting that fixed. Glad you got the package.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
the toy next to the pumice perch that looks like a prickly pear (blue and yellow) almost killed a birdie on AA recently. It's in the dangerous toys list. There are threads in it.

orphansparrow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
the toy next to the pumice perch that looks like a prickly pear (blue and yellow) almost killed a birdie on AA recently. It's in the dangerous toys list. There are threads in it.
Oh really?? Weird! I'm very paranoid of threads being in her cage, and never buy her any rope toys/rope perches for this reason. I will investigate ASAP.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Lucky bird. The little balls (bells/no bells inside???) can easily be broken so I would recommend only letting Duckie play with those while being supervised.

WallyLoopey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
Some people (not in this forum) said that the spikes have poked in birds’ crops

My guys love the character pinatas and those have never caused an issue here. Looks along the same lines, you can fill the character ones

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
I remember that thread. The bird's head got tangle by filling of the toy or something like that. I would assume that is very similar to the pinata toys available but I've never had one so I don't know. It could have been a freak accident with that toy... maybe that one specific toy wasn't manufactured properly... I dunno... I kind of think no toy is 100% safe in the sense you can alway has freak accidents or a bird might accidentally ingested something they shouldn't. But obviously you can't have no toys or no enrichment for your birds. And then there's repeat offenders that people constantly have trouble with like happy huts that that should be avoided completely. You just have to be careful and check your birds toys constantly especially one where they could potentially get tangled up in.

Nice haul btw :)

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
WoW that is a great haul!:excited3:
@finchly ’s Rio got stuck in that pricky toy, I thought she Said it was because of the threads that were exposed in a weird way. I think it would be fine to let her play with it while you are in the same room:)

orphansparrow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
Thanks everyone! I inspected that prickly-pear looking toy, and don't see any threads anywhere. Odd. Maybe it's the same design manufactured differently? Or maybe the strings are deep in the center, and I can't see them? I don't know! I might dissect it and see. (Also, I can't find it on the dangerous toys list!)

I agree that no toy seems 100% safe. I agree @Sarahmoluccan I've seen toys on the dangerous toys list that seem like the accidents were caused by features I see in a lot, if not most of the toys available on the market. It makes me wish I had access to some sort of bird safe tree branches with leaves that I could just fix to her cage, and she could just rip those up.

It's good to be aware of the danger possibilities though, just in case. :)

Last edited:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Thanks everyone! I inspected that prickly-pear looking toy, and don't see any threads anywhere. Odd. Maybe it's the same design manufactured differently? Or maybe the strings are deep in the center, and I can't see them? I don't know! I might dissect it and see. (Also, I can't find it on the dangerous toys list!)

I agree that no toy seems 100% safe. I agree @Sarahmoluccan I've seen toys on the dangerous toys list that seem like the accidents were caused by features I see in a lot, if not most of the toys available on the market. It makes me wish I had access to some sort of bird safe tree branches with leaves that I could just fix to her cage, and she could just rip those up.

It's good to be aware of the danger possibilities though, just in case. :)
Yep it was my Rio. I had not seen strings either until that day when I came home. :omg: She was hanging by her neck and no longer struggling. Here's the thread. She is alive but... | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum The photo of the toy is in post #26.