• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

stroke or ataxia

JenA

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jen Authier
My 1.5 year old pineapple conure passed away on Christmas day. She struggled for 2 weeks with left-side muscle weakness and could not walk. During these 2 weeks I think she was having seizures, as she was spontaneously flying around and hitting things, and could not land and perch. Vet said neurological issue. It seems like either a stroke or ataxia, in my opinion, but who knows. I am devastated and just want some answers as to why this happened to my baby, just overnight.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I am very sorry for your loss.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
If a bird is known to have a window/ wall strike, but seems ok ,
it should be cage rested for about 3 days and evaluated to see if seems normal . This rest is to allow brain swelling to go down , and prevent a second strike , as they are often a little disorientated..as well as to prevent blood pressure from going up with activity that can make brain swelling worse..
If it has a strike and anything seems off , should go to the veterinarian. As like you did, there are medication to help bring down brain swelling.

If this is unknown ataxia , seizure of unknown origin, I'm not sure what you could have done ,other than going to the veterinarian like you did

JenA

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jen Authier
If a bird is known to have a window/ wall strike, but seems ok ,
it should be cage rested for about 3 days and evaluated to see if seems normal . This rest is to allow brain swelling to go down , and prevent a second strike , as they are often a little disorientated..as well as to prevent blood pressure from going up with activity that can make brain swelling worse..
If it has a strike and anything seems off , should go to the veterinarian. As like you did, there are medication to help bring down brain swelling.

If this is unknown ataxia , seizure of unknown origin, I'm not sure what you could have done ,other than going to the veterinarian like you did
Thank you, it just came on so suddenly, no sign of trauma, xrays showed no sign of trauma, and medication to bring down brain swelling didn't seem to work. We were so confused with what was happening. I'm sure we made some mistakes as this was so sudden. I wish I'd been more prepared. All I can do is beat myself up over everything, but we tried.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Thank you, it just came on so suddenly, no sign of trauma, xrays showed no sign of trauma, and medication to bring down brain swelling didn't seem to work. We were so confused with what was happening. I'm sure we made some mistakes as this was so sudden. I wish I'd been more prepared. All I can do is beat myself up over everything, but we tried.
I do not think this is one you can beat yourself up about. It's very unusual
I'm sorry you lost your beautiful baby

JenA

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jen Authier
I do not think this is one you can beat yourself up about. It's very unusual
I'm sorry you lost your beautiful baby
Thank you. This is why I think it may have been genetic. Came out of the blue. Just have to grieve with no answers. But thank you for your support. It's hard to find support for bird loss as most people deal with cats or dog loss, which I have as well also.

Bamboobird

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Gigi
My sweet little doodle, unfortunately, died from hitting a window. I only had him for a month but he was fully tamed and loved spending time around us. He will always be missed. :(
. 69862962564__8B719033-F3FB-46E1-8E32-B0A045E5C07F.jpeg

orphansparrow

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
I am so sorry for your loss. It’s so hard not knowing. I hope you can find peace very quickly :sadhug2:

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
So sorry for your loss.

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
Truly sorry to hear of the loss of your baby.

JenA

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jen Authier
My sweet little doodle, unfortunately, died from hitting a window. I only had him for a month but he was fully tamed and loved spending time around us. He will always be missed. :(
. View attachment 440405
I'm so sorry for your loss, I just wish I knew what brought this on. We are so sad without her.

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
Thank you so much, I just wish we had answers. The sudden illness is difficult to understand.
I can't even imagine how it must feel. It seems to happen that way quite often with birds. Perhaps because they hide their pain/symptoms so well. I hope you find peace.