• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Stress or just irritating feather

Newbie GCC

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
We have had a lot of visitors the last 2 weeks. My SIL, neice and her 5 year old stayed a weekend with us and the next weekend my dad and his wife flew in and will be staying until January 5th.

Roma has done AMAZINGLY well with all of the visitors and changes and noises! I am very impressed with how well he has socialized with everyone. He has even decided that the faucet in the sink is not the scary monster he thought it was and played in it yesterday! I did have to put his travel cage in my bedroom for sleeping, as my step monster stays up much later than we do. Takes him a few minutes to settle down, but he seems to be adjusting well.

That being said, he has been over preening one wing. One flight feather is broken due to constant messing with it. I toweled him long enough to get a look (and have 3 wounds to prove it! :mad: ) and he has pulled off the "hairs" along the sheath from the base to about halfway up. He will not let me clip it and he cannot seem to get the break completely through, so it hangs there and irritates him even more, so he pulls more of the "hairs" off of the sheath. The sheath in the "hairless" area appears to be whiter than the rest of the feather, as well.

Leave it or have it vet clipped/pulled? Is it holiday stress that may have started this or just a feather that was irritating to start with?

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
i would have the vet take a look you do not want it to turn into a habit as far a stress is concerned he can feel your stess :hug8:

Newbie GCC

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
i would have the vet take a look you do not want it to turn into a habit as far a stress is concerned he can feel your stess :hug8:
Did I say I was stressed? I'm not stressed. Who says I am stressed? I always talk non stop and stutter...... :lol:
He has a follow up appt the first week of the New Year. I will be sure and have them check it. Thank you both!

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Hope its nothing least you will be seeing vet soon.