• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Stranger Danger

Leanna

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Leanna B
I'm looking for some advice on my caiques and their stranger aggression. They aren't aggressive with me, but will attack strangers. I have to admit, I'm not really that much of a social butterfly. My idea of a party is 3-5 people over, and I stay at home alone most nights. I do have a small group of very close friends that I do invite over often, but I have to put the caiques away.

It was never that big of a problem before, but I've noticed that it has gotten much worse, to the point where Zoey can't even see a stranger without loosing her mind. I'm worried because I need to leave for a week during March, and I obviously want to find a good pet sitter/boarding that will be able to handle them.

I have tried traditional tactics like holding them and giving treats while the other person is across the room. Kate is fine with this as long as they aren't close, but Zoey I have to restrain as she tries to fly over to attack them. Kate's eyes will pin and she will stop accepting treats if I get any closer than 3 feet to the 'stranger'.

I know this is partially my fault for not socializing them to other humans as much as I should have, and I'm going to take better measures with Milo.

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Based on my own experiences, when a bird has chosen its person, everyone else becomes an intruder. My bird still bites and screams at anyone who tries to pet him, even though he's seen them regularly since he came home (almost 11 months ago). If someone stands too close to his cage, he shuffles back in and won't come out until they're gone. At first, he'd take food from them, but now he just goes straight in for the bite and bypasses the food altogether. I think it's just a bird's nature to be very aloof with strangers, after all, they don't know if they can trust them or not.
Also, it could be a hormonal thing. If your bird sees you as a mate, then you giving anyone else attention is grounds for an attack.

MNR

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Sounds like my Loki. She is usually very affectionate toward me, but she could be very mean to strangers. She is very opinionated and she is ready to attack someone she doesn’t like (She hates my mother!) You never know who she likes and dislikes.

I notice that my birds behave very differently at home versus at somebody else’s place. If they are at home, the visitors are intruders, and they could be very aggressive or shy. If they are in unfamiliar place, and especially if you are not around, they could be more agreeable.

What is your plan when you have to leave for a week? My work related trips are usually either 1-3 nights (domestic) or 10-14 days (international). For my short trips, my bird-sitter comes to my house (birds stay in their cages) ; For longer trips, my birds go to the birdsitter’s place (they can be out of cages).

My birds had gone through this many times and I would like to believe that they know that I come back (and if I could not for an unfortunate and untimely event, I would like to believe that they will adopt and adjust to new reality...... )

So my suggestions to you:

1) try to introduce your birds to many people. (it is good to get to know local “bird” people).

2) Have your birdsitter visit your birds, better yet, at unfamiliar place.

3) Start with shorter trip first, if you can.

4) Just remember that your birds are quite resilient and adoptable.

Leanna

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Leanna B
I don't have a plan yet unfortunately. I don't even know how to go about finding a birdsitter. There are boarding places near me but that seems like it will be even more stressful for them. How did you find yours?
I do notice that the girls aren't aggressive with the vet or at the bird store when they get their nails done. That's part of the reason I was so surprised to see them acting aggressively when friends come over.

MNR

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I volunteer for a bird rescue, so I know some bird people locally.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I don't have a plan yet unfortunately. I don't even know how to go about finding a birdsitter. There are boarding places near me but that seems like it will be even more stressful for them. How did you find yours?
I do notice that the girls aren't aggressive with the vet or at the bird store when they get their nails done. That's part of the reason I was so surprised to see them acting aggressively when friends come over.
Our sun conure Tikki doesn't take kindly to strangers and especially NOT women. He doesn't take kindly to being groomed or being at the vet but they know & expect fids not to like them.

Maybe your girls are strictly defending you and their territory from strangers?

lexalayne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
I hate when people think parrots are similar to dogs. I know very few people who can approach my flock. I have one cockatoo who loves everyone except middle aged men and one macaw who will go to any man but not one woman. In my flock it’s less than 20% who are approachable and that’s with exceptions
Unlike dogs parrots aren’t domesticated
I think yours are normal.

Leanna

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Leanna B
I'm not asking for my birds to be friendly with every stranger, I know that's asking too much. I would just like them to not attack strangers. If they could be on a playstand on the other side of the room while I have coffee with a friend, I'd be happy with that. Even if I can't have that, it isn't the end of the world. I guess they'd just have to in cage when I have people over.

The only real concern is when I go away in March. I would like whoever's watching them to be able to handle them so they get the social interaction they need.

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I read that parrots think you are in danger if they see someone coming towards you, they are alerting you by screaming.