• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

YogiBird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kris
every night rico and i go through a ritual for going to bed. he flies on top of his cage, we do a little bit of training (step up, come here, turn, etc) and then he gets tired and goes inside his cage. i say 'night night' and then cover him and we are good until morning. he gets 10-12 hours of sleep and darkness (sometimes more) every day. he is on a 60% veg diet with pellet supplements and some seed (only for treats)

last night he refused to go into his cage. he kept looking at me as if i was asking him to do the impossible. i got really worried about him., i tried coaxing him with treats (blueberries, sunflower seeds, cashews, strawberries, bananas) and NOTHING worked. i didnt want to grab him and FORCE him in there, as that would break our trust, but what if something happened and i needed to get him out ASAP?

this is the first night he's done this and im really afraid he's going to be losing sleep if he keeps doing this. i dont want it to become a habitual thing. how do i put a stop to it peacefully, or if it is a hormonal thing, how can i help him? anyone have any ideas/advice??????

pic for tax

Attachments

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Maybe he was testing your boundaries?

YogiBird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kris
Maybe he was testing your boundaries?
good point... what can i do to stop it though? he needs to go in his cage at night in order to get good sleep and darkness. and also in case if i need to grab him in an emergency....

Rebel

Sprinting down the street
good point... what can i do to stop it though? he needs to go in his cage at night in order to get good sleep and darkness. and also in case if i need to grab him in an emergency....
Show him whos boss and grab him if you have to. It wont break trust.
IMG_3737.jpeg

Last edited:

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Just practice , do several request, trips to the cage for a quick step in treat and back out happy praise dance during the day or random times .

This worked so great for me ,
Thst now if I even walk towards cage they fly race me to put themselves up . They love all the flattering praise ! Soak it up like sponges .

I think is also good, to random step up and step off to different spots around home. Birds learn a step up and move doesn't always mean they are getting locked up

Last edited:

YogiBird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kris
Just practice , do several request, trips to the cage for a quick step in treat and back out happy praise dance during the day or random times .

This worked so great for me ,
Thst now if I even walk towards cage they fly race me to put themselves up . They love all the flattering praise ! Soak it up like sponges .

I think is also good, to random step up and step off to different spots around home. Birds learn a step up and move doesn't always mean they are getting locked up

such good advice!!! ill have to impliment it :) he does step up everywhere haha so i dont think this should be an issue... with the cage thing i think that's a great idea. i will try to see if he just goes in and comes back out. i will have to see....

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
such good advice!!! ill have to impliment it :) he does step up everywhere haha so i dont think this should be an issue... with the cage thing i think that's a great idea. i will try to see if he just goes in and comes back out. i will have to see....
You can make it a fun game , GCC love games.
I helped parutti with her quaker , who wanted to fly all over and make it a game of catch me for going back to cage . Instead I had her make a game of recalls to cage ! Worked great! He loved showing off how smart he is

Rebel

Disagree on this Rebel. Sensitive birds this will definitely break trust
My bad. I was just going by my experience with my conures. They will take advantage of my girlfriend like that. When i tell them its time to go in, they'll fly to me and let me put them in their cage.

Last edited:

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Show him whos boss and grab him if you have to. It wont break trust.
View attachment 443282
I think this massively depends on bird remi I could probably grab no problems no trust broken if I had to in an emergency he doesn’t care about laying in my hand doing upside down in my hand (which he does himself ) doing tunnel etc
But pip no way I know he would hate it and it would break our relationship he will tunnel if I ask him or he sees remi do it for a treat he will but he runs through so fast he not a massive fan doesn’t doesn’t like it way remi does he did copying remi once then bite me I was like you did it not me my hand was only slightly cupped

I had to grab my lovebirds in towel when I moved home I tried everything to get them in their carriers mango never forgive me indie I had to gain back little trust I probably had

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
I agree with @Pixiebeak I do step up and put them in cage multiple times a day or tap they perch on door and shut door so they go in give treat and open again I just make it part of there tricks

I also do t have water outside of cage so they have to go back in themselves for water throughout day so they know that’s there home type of thing not that they have access to everything outside of their cages so they don’t need to go home

Rebel

I think this massively depends on bird remi I could probably grab no problems no trust broken if I had to in an emergency he doesn’t care about laying in my hand doing upside down in my hand (which he does himself ) doing tunnel etc
But pip no way I know he would hate it and it would break our relationship he will tunnel if I ask him or he sees remi do it for a treat he will but he runs through so fast he not a massive fan doesn’t doesn’t like it way remi does he did copying remi once then bite me I was like you did it not me my hand was only slightly cupped

I had to grab my lovebirds in towel when I moved home I tried everything to get them in their carriers mango never forgive me indie I had to gain back little trust I probably had
As i said earlier, i was going by how my birds are. I shouldnt have assumed it was right for everyone. I must ask though, how do you trim their nails etc.?

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
As i said earlier, i was going by how my birds are. I shouldnt have assumed it was right for everyone. I must ask though, how do you trim their nails etc.?
I don’t never had to with lovebirds either but they have different perches in their cage I don’t know if that’s what helps

Rebel

I don’t never had to with lovebirds either but they have different perches in their cage I don’t know if that’s what helps
Ooops, i meant to ask the OP how they trimmed nails.

YogiBird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kris
update for yall:
HE WAS JUST BEING A LIL GREMLIN HE JUST WANTED HIS PAPER AT THE BOTTOM OF THE CAGE CHANGED

im gonna go lay down for a bit XD