• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Strange Behavior?

YogiBird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kris
Not sure if I am overthinking this, but my Rico boy kinda changed since I got him. I got him right before Christmas on Dec 17, and he got used to me, and used to hang around me. He used to fly to where I was and sit on my knees/chest/stomach. He's not a hand bird just yet (we are working on that). But lately he's been kind of off putting? He doesn't fly to sit on me anymore, but he DOES talk to me and throw me kisses. He says 'hey baby' whenever he sees me, and eats near me and still steals my food. So I am not sure what caused this? His diet hasn't really changed. I did feed him some more veggies and fruits than before, and still sticking with Zupreem and TOPS for his pellets; treats are still cashews and banana chips with occasional sunflower seeds.

I am not sure what's happened? He also prefers to sleep on top of my curtain instead of in his cage... and it's been a fight to get him in so that he is safe and can get his 12 hrs of darkness sleep.

Any advise? Did I do something wrong? I'm still treating him the same and not forcing him to do anything; everything he does is of his own volition.

orphansparrow

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
Hmm..How do you try to get him in his cage?

Also, when you give him his treats, what is he doing? Do you save the treats for training? And what training are you working on?

YogiBird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kris
Hmm..How do you try to get him in his cage?

Also, when you give him his treats, what is he doing? Do you save the treats for training? And what training are you working on?
So i ONLY give him treats when training. Touch training, flight recall, and working on stepping up (with an arm and not a hand). I do the touch training for a little bit, and he gets very into it. From there I do some flight recall and he's super into that too. Then when I try to get him in his cage.... it's like all of a sudden he doesn't want a treat, he doesn't like... move or anything he just stares at me. I have no idea what's going on. I bribe him with his favorite treats too, and I'm not gonna FORCE him but this is getting out of hand. Yesterday he was better, though. He took the treats and went inside of his cage willingly. Gah.

orphansparrow

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
That’s tough. Sounds like you’re not doing anything to create an aversion for him. I don’t know what could be happening then. Maybe he just needs some alone time/time off? Ha.
Maybe every once in a while you could try not doing any training for a day and instead just be around him, without making eye contact, and just sit there eating things you think he might like. Let him come to you. And if he eventually does come to you, near you, offer him a treat. If he’s not interested at first, don’t give up and just keep trying.

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Hey
Do you have a perch on his cage door that’s in when doors closed and comes out when doors open this can help loads trying him to come to perch by tapping on it when he comes give treat do this a few times then while he’s eating close the door with him on perch and he will go inside without your hands touching him give another treat inside cage say go home or something you want
Make the closing of the door random at first so he doesn’t click onto going back in cage

I’ve also found a perch like a rope perch under door perch on outside of cage helps a lot so they go on rope perch then upto door perch or when coming out door perch rope perch

YogiBird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kris
That’s tough. Sounds like you’re not doing anything to create an aversion for him. I don’t know what could be happening then. Maybe he just needs some alone time/time off? Ha.
Maybe every once in a while you could try not doing any training for a day and instead just be around him, without making eye contact, and just sit there eating things you think he might like. Let him come to you. And if he eventually does come to you, near you, offer him a treat. If he’s not interested at first, don’t give up and just keep trying.
thanks. i give him a lot of space but he does fly close to me... not sure if i should just leave him alone??? maybe ill give him MORE space XD

YogiBird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kris
Hey
Do you have a perch on his cage door that’s in when doors closed and comes out when doors open this can help loads trying him to come to perch by tapping on it when he comes give treat do this a few times then while he’s eating close the door with him on perch and he will go inside without your hands touching him give another treat inside cage say go home or something you want
Make the closing of the door random at first so he doesn’t click onto going back in cage

I’ve also found a perch like a rope perch under door perch on outside of cage helps a lot so they go on rope perch then upto door perch or when coming out door perch rope perch
actually that rope perch sounds like a fantastic idea... i did try the tapping trick on the perch he has right in front of his cage door. no go. :/ unfortunately he wised up and figured perch tapping = inside cage / bedtime.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Baby just weaned birds are very programmed to fly to and follow parents . It's why it's a great time and much easier to work on recall flight . Nearly all professional bird)trick trainers will only train weaning just weaned babies for outdoor free flight recall for shows and demonstration . It's more involved and less consistent to start that training as adults .

So that was a long way to say , he is growing up . So that instinct, to just fly to you , is less. Now it will be more because you have built your bond and postive association and rewards. Adult birds still want to be with their people and come to them . But I think explains the difference you are seeing right now

YogiBird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kris
Baby just weaned birds are very programmed to fly to and follow parents . It's why it's a great time and much easier to work on recall flight . Nearly all professional bird)trick trainers will only train weaning just weaned babies for outdoor free flight recall for shows and demonstration . It's more involved and less consistent to start that training as adults .

So that was a long way to say , he is growing up . So that instinct, to just fly to you , is less. Now it will be more because you have built your bond and postive association and rewards. Adult birds still want to be with their people and come to them . But I think explains the difference you are seeing right now
that would explain it! but lordy loo i am so happy for him... knowing he is growing up and maturing.... my baby boi!!! i could cry with happiness!

good to know that it isnt' something I did

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
actually that rope perch sounds like a fantastic idea... i did try the tapping trick on the perch he has right in front of his cage door. no go. :/ unfortunately he wised up and figured perch tapping = inside cage / bedtime.
Make it random throughout day training so he doesn’t know when you will push door shut or randomly shut door give treat let him back out etc

where I base my trick training rope perch on their caress I can add in the go home training too

remi hates going back in his cage too and clicks on fast when it’s time for cage