• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Straight toe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bridgette

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bridgette
I just noticed this today, and I was wondering if this was something I needed to rush to the vet for...

One of Kiwi's toes points straight when he is perching. When he is flat-footed, the nail kind of sticks up instead of down. He is able to clench it if I touch the sole of his foot. He lets me touch it and wiggle it. He isn't acting like it hurts. I don't think it's broken.

Is this normal? Should I take him to the vet tomorrow?

rikkitikki

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
Was there a point when it sat normally, is this a new development? I don't know the answer, but that may affect whether or not you want to take him sooner rather than later.

Peteysmom

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Heather
Has it always been this way, or is it something new?
Simons toe does that, just one of them. The quick doesn't even grow as long on it, but it's always been that way (I got her before she was done nursing and wayyyyy before she fledged) so I know it's always been like that with her toe. I just think of her as a little bit unique. It never seems to bother her either.

Bridgette

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bridgette
I am currently going through every photo of Kiwi that I have to see if this is something new. It's not exactly straight, as in the whole toe. It's just like the last knuckle and the nail that is straight. He can perch with the first 3/4 of the toe, if that makes sense.

I called my vet and he is with a patient right now. He is an hour away, so I am going to see if I can email or text a pic to him and see if he wants to see him ASAP. They close at 5:30, so I don't think I will make it today, unless they stay open for me.

Peteysmom

Real Name
Heather
You're a good birdy mom :)
Let us know what Kiwi's doctor says. I am interested to know. For some reason, I've never asked mine about Simons toe. ...now you've got me wondering.

Bridgette

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bridgette
I took some pictures for when the vet calls back. Sorry, they are a bad quality, but Kiwi wouldn't stand still! LOL. He is a hyper little guy :)

Here it is when he is flat-footed. See how just the tip of the toe and nail sick up?

Here he is perched on my finger:

Peteysmom

Real Name
Heather
It looks just like Simons, except that her toenail is actually flat on top, and then curls under.

Bridgette

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bridgette
The vet still hasn't called me back, but I found this website http://theparrotforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=521 and the picture on there looks just like Kiwi's foot. This person is saying it was caused when her bird was born or very young.

OMG I feel like such a bad mom for having never noticed this before. He acts normal. He can balance on one foot, grip things, he hangs upside down by that foot. I never had any reason to investigate his toes.

Peteysmom

Real Name
Heather
Don't feel bad! If he's always acted normally, there was no reason to notice it. Speaking of which, what made you notice it today?

Bridgette

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bridgette
Thanks!

I noticed it today because I wanted to write down his leg band information to keep in my wallet. I have his certificate, but I keep that in a fire proof safe. I wanted to make sure the information was where I could access it 24/7.

Peteysmom

Real Name
Heather
Well then, I would guess that he is just fine since you didn't notice because of him acting strangly....but a second opinion by someone qualified would be a good idea ;)

Bridgette

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bridgette
I just spoke to the vet. He said since it isn't swollen or discolored, it should be fine. He said that he could have hurt it a long time ago because, if he had done it recently, I probably would have noticed it bothered him.

He said it probably will be like that forever, but since he isn't having any problem using it and he can perch and hang normally, he won't have to do anything to it. He said, in time, if he develops arthritis in it as he ages, we may have to modify how his nails are clipped or even modify his perches.

He said if it ever bothers him, or if it ever swells or changes color, I should bring him in.

Does all of this sound right? I have only been to this vet twice since I have had Kiwi, so I don't have a really good feel for him. I can try to find an emergency vet, but it might be a few hours away. We have an emergency vet clinic here, but I don't know that they have a qualified a-vet on staff.

avianantics

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Shelly Wing
Sounds right and toe looks fine. They do occasionally get their toes tweeked and seem to do just fine.

Bridgette

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bridgette
:hug8: Thank you, everyone, for helping and being supportive. I really felt awful that I hadn't noticed earlier. From now on, Kiwi will be getting a thorough visual exam several times a day! Thank you again. you guys really are the best :heart::heart::heart:

Status
Not open for further replies.