• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Story time ! I never expected this. Any advice?

jennarochelle

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jenna
I'm sorry this is so long ! Please don't let it deter you though ! I would really appreciate any advice.

Yesterday, my friend and I decided to go on one of our day trip adventures. We live on Vancouver Island, BC, Canada. We met this year as we both moved here this past summer to go to university. We both reeaallyyy love birds, and each have them, so we've gotten along well haha.

A few days before this little road trip, I'd read about an older "painted conure" looking for a new home, I had a feeling about him, and by some strange turn of events we ended up going to check him out as he was about a couple hours outside of the city we live in, and the direction we were heading in.

We showed up at around 1:30pm, we were aiming for 1:00pm, but had the first "snow day" (I say this in quotations because is was more like fluffy snow flakes and then instant thick slush as it hit the road) we've seen on the island (of course), so it slowed us down a little. When we finally arrived at this older mans house, we were both a little on edge as a pair of young women might be going to some strange man's house.. He opened the door and welcomed us into his home.

Here's where it gets dark.

As we walked in the smell of ammonia, and god knows what else hit us right in the face. Shortly after a tumor ridden old dog came to greet us. There was no actual flooring, and it was RIDICULOUSLY dirty in there. The man directed us to a barren cage in the center of the room.. and low and behold there was a little crimson bellied conure, terrified, with only a centimeter of brown dirty water in a bowl, and some dirty old seed as his food.

We were absolutely horrified.

All of the sudden I looked up at my surroundings, and there were large fish tanks that look like they'd never seen a cleaning in years, I could barely tell if there was anything alive in them. I noticed two congo african greys, and a VERY plucked blue and gold macaw all in disgusting cages as well, and could hear many many more birds elsewhere.

I looked back at the little conure, I asked if I we could towel him to have a closer look at him (as apparently he hadn't been handled in years). "He was supposed to be a breeder, but his mate died." I asked why his mate died and he just avoided the question. I was starting to panic at this point. I asked question after question, and I'd also asked if I could take a look at his other birds as I want to see the state that they're in. I told him I had other birds, and that even with quarantine I didn't want to risk their health. He told me "I don't let people back there to look at the other birds." That was quite the red flag for me. The man then proceeded to go and grab some dirty old gloves and snatched the poor bird quite forcefully from the cage. You could tell the bird was absolutely terrified. At this point I had enough and said I would take the bird and threw some money at the man and ran out to grab my carrier. I couldn't stand to see it in his possession any longer. Let alone ANY of the birds. Might I add that all the while this was going down, he was standing there drinking beer, and trying to tell us that the screaming the bird was doing ment "he was happy and trying to show off," even though any fool could look at him and see the terror on his little face.

ANYWAY, I brought my carrier in and while I was out getting it my friend had towelled the little guy and we gently put him in the carrier and practically ran out the door.

Upon closer inspection in the car, the poor little birds toe nails were SEVERELY overgrown, the rear inside toes were so overgrown they had spiraled and there were sores on the bottom of his feet. He stood very awkwardly on the towel, as it likely hurt. His lower mandible is quite deformed looking and also over grown.. His eyes were clear, as well as his nares, and his feathers seemed to be in decent condition. I immediately called and made an appointment at the vet. However, unfortunately the soonest I could take him in is Wednesday at 9:30AM, as the avian vet is away or something, and I wasn't about to take him to any old vet as I've never found that to do any good. We're just trying to keep him as comfortable as possible.

He's got an open band, and it doesn't have anything on it that would be any significance to us, the only information I have on him is that he's approximately 7 or 8 years old. The poor thing doesn't even have a name.

After his first night at my place quarantined in the back room he seems a lot happier. We bought him some "better" seed than he was eating, but after I do some more research into his what his dietary requirements are like I think I will be likely be converting him to a similar diet that our other birds are on. Unfortunately I don't know a whole heck of a lot about crimson bellies, for right now while I do some research I'm just assuming they're similar to my green cheeks.

After he's been seen by the vet, we will be reporting this man. It was awful. I am still very much in shock and very emotionally disturbed by this whole situation. No animal should ever have to live like that. I just shook the whole drive home !

While I'm at it.. do any of you have any name suggestions? Here's a picture of the little guy.
image1 (2).JPG

DWRVT

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Debbie
How horribly sad :( I hope this cute little guy's ok and he can join your home!! I would absolutely be reporting the owner - no animal should live in those conditions.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Write every detail down now while it is fresh on your mind. When you take this bird in - make sure the vet details his health in the records.

Good luck. I'm afraid his other birds need far more than just luck at this point. This is just sad.

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
How about Happy? He is a cutie but I would call the nearest rescue or tell the vet about it and get those birds and fish outta there. He must realize what he is doing is wrong. Did you ever see the movie Rio? kinda reminds me of the situation the birds are in now. :cool:

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Poor little guy! Glad you got him, and definitely report the man!!!

Keep us updated please :hug8:

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
CBC have the same nutrition & care to greencheeks so you should be fine.
Glad he made it out, hope he is healthy he looks pretty good for all his neglect & hope the others find their way to safety
He's precious!
:hug8:

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
What a cute bird, despite unhealthy previous conditions. He/she is lucky to be in your care. Kudos to you for rescuing him.

I hope the other birds get saved

Last edited:

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Glad you rescued him and that you will be reporting that person!

Kaylea

Real Name
Kaylea
Awww he's so cute... that story breaks my heart n makes me feel for all the other birds as well... so glad you were able to get him out of there.

Kayden means little warrior :)

Menagerie Mama

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heidi
He's adorable! Lucky little guy to be found by you.

For any living being to be subjected to the conditions you describe seeing in that house of horrors is unthinkable...much less what the conditions must've been Like where you *couldn't* see. It is awful all around, but the thought of this little CBC and the CAGs hit especially hard :sad7:

Cara

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara MacKay
She/he's a beautiful little guy, despite where he came from. It sounds like the authorities might not be able to ignore this if they get through the guy's door. I'd definitely report it.

Are you sure that he's a male?

How about an artist's name to honor his gorgeous colors? Monet, Manet, Renoir, Picasso, Diego, Leonardo, Vincent, Degas, Goya, Raphael, Cezanne.... Hmmm.....

Color names? Jasper is a shade of red/orange. Rudy, ruby....

Tepin and Piquin are hot peppers. Hatch is a New Mexican Chile pepper. Shishizzo peppers are something they serve at the restaurant downstairs from where I work. I think those last two are green rather than red. There is also a Mirasol Chile Pepper. I remember it because my sister wanted to name her youngest Mirasol. It means looking at the sun. Seems like more of a girl's name, but it would certainly go with those gorgeous colors.

OK, I could spend all day thinking of animal names. Gotta get to work!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
How heartbreaking. I'm glad you got that bird out of there. What a cutie! I hope those other birds can be helped too.

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Thanks for scooping him up. What a beautiful little bird :heart:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you for taking him in. He's a very handsome guy. Wishing you the best of luck with your new feathered friend/family member.

Chopper

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
Thank you for rescuing him.

jennarochelle

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jenna
Thank you all for the support you've given me, as I've gotten nothing but belittlement from all the local bird people in my area.. telling me I'm an idiot for taking the bird into my home and having to deal with quarantine and vet bills, telling me I don't understand what bio security even means.. I'm very distraught about it all ! I feel a lot better seeing the support here though. This is the absolute most positive forum site I've ever been on. :D