• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Storms...

Goffinsmamma

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Madison
Anybody have any tips for a bird who's afraid of storms? I live in an area where we've been getting a lot of rain this year and soon ot will also be blizzard/sleet season :sad6:. Unfortunately, Kiwi HATES storms. She sits in her cage andhides when its about to rain and shakes and shivers the whole time its storming. I work with kids a lot so im used to giving the "Its your ancestors bowling" or "The angels are at a concert" speech, but sadly that doesnt really work for a bird. Anyone else have a bird with a fear of storms/weather changes? How do you make them feel better? Shes usually fine after the storm passes but it just breaks my heart to see her so scared.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Our littles sometimes get a little edgy when there's a lot of thunder. Kathy gets upset sometimes when the bad weather comes, and the birds will pick up on her anxiety.

Milton, on the other hand loves storms...especially after he found out that storms bring rain...which is "WET"....;)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
One of my dogs barked a few times at the thunder last night but the birds and the other dogs couldn't have cared less about what was going on outside. Was scaring me more than it was scaring them since I do not like thunder and lightning.

Could you put some music or the TV on to distract her from the noise of the storm?

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
I have two afraid of loud storms. I keep them away from the windows and even will cover their cages if a storm is really bad and try to put them in "night" mode to help them feel more secure.

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Why not try a white noise machine? I know with dogs that when the barometric pressure drops it hurts their ears! Maybe birds?

Goffinsmamma

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Madison
We play music for her pretty regularly (60s/70ss music mostly, she is in love with Elvis) but ive never thought about a white noise machine! I used to have trouble sleeping at night so I used pink noise, ill have to try it with her. She likes any noise, really, she even dances to the sound of the faucet while we wash dishes! :birdance:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
White noise or radio/tv, maybe some avicalm? Perhaps cover part of the cage to give a little retreat?