• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Stopping budgies from landing certain places?

JulietRose

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Juliet
Hello! I hope this is the right place to post this. So, I have one of those canopy beds without drapes and my budgies keep trying to land on it, I wouldn’t have a problem with this except they sit at the perfect angle to poop on my sheets which obviously isn’t hygienic. They also climb onto my chandelier from the canopy witch scares my as I don’t want them getting stuck, chewing it, etc. (They also try to chew on the canopy). They literally have everywhere to land yet they choose to land the one spot I don’t want them to, it could be they like it because it’s high up but that doesn’t make sense as there is another, higher (and nicer) place for them to perch. Anybody have suggestion? Thank you!

image.jpg
(here’s a picture to reference!)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Cable ties work well, might not be quite the look you want but they work. You could opt for clear ones to lessen how odd it may look

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Do they go into the bedroom only when you're present, or own their own?
If you have other space, I'd make the entire bedroom off limits. To me, it's generally unsafe for birds, especially small species due to the crushing risk (I've seen people fall sleep and roll over on their birds), and potentially inappropriate behaviourally (not sure what I'd do in there other than snuggle with them).

Changing the light fixture to one that can't be landed on is another option to make that aspect bird-proof.

They literally have everywhere to land yet they choose to land the one spot I don’t want them to
Do they have their own perches in the bedroom if you still need/want them in that space, or are they elsewhere?

What's your relationship with them? If they're on the canopy could you step them up and move them to their designated spots and offer a valued reward as reinforcement (or simply reward them when they go to their designated spots on their own)?

There are many options depending on those details.
What have you tried as a remedy?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Do they have a high up perch they can use instead? Like could you hang a boing from the ceiling or high up on the wall instead?

JulietRose

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Juliet
Do they have a high up perch they can use instead? Like could you hang a boing from the ceiling or high up on the wall instead?
They don’t exactly have a “perch” but they have the railing of a loft which is where they used to like to sit, I prefere if they would stay there because it’s completely safe. It’s kind of hard for me to but a perch/boing around the bed because it’s a high, slanted ceiling, I could try though! Btw they have plenty of perches in the room, they are just not as high up!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
They don’t exactly have a “perch” but they have the railing of a loft which is where they used to like to sit, I prefere if they would stay there because it’s completely safe. It’s kind of hard for me to but a perch/boing around the bed because it’s a high, slanted ceiling, I could try though! Btw they have plenty of perches in the room, they are just not as high up!
It's the height that is alluring. It's like first class vs coach, penthouse suite vs a single queen :lol:

JulietRose

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Juliet
Do they go into the bedroom only when you're present, or own their own?
If you have other space, I'd make the entire bedroom off limits. To me, it's generally unsafe for birds, especially small species due to the crushing risk (I've seen people fall sleep and roll over on their birds), and potentially inappropriate behaviourally (not sure what I'd do in there other than snuggle with them).

Changing the light fixture to one that can't be landed on is another option to make that aspect bird-proof.

Do they have their own perches in the bedroom if you still need/want them in that space, or are they elsewhere?

What's your relationship with them? If they're on the canopy could you step them up and move them to their designated spots and offer a valued reward as reinforcement (or simply reward them when they go to their designated spots on their own)?

There are many options depending on those details.
What have you tried as a remedy?
They are kept in the corner of my bedroom because I luckily have a fairly large room, and there isn’t anywhere other places in the house for them. They aren’t the tamest birds (I’m working on it though) they will jump on my hand if I have food, one is a bit more reluctant though. They have plenty of perches and when they aren’t trying to sit on the canopy of my bed they like to sit on the roof of their cage and my quakers when he’s not around. I’ve tried moving them down but after the get their share of treats they just fly back up. I’ve tried putting stuff they don’t really like up there to keep them off but that only keeps them away for a little bit, then they get their confidence and go right back. I really want to keep them off so that I can have them out a bit more often (every day instead of around 5 days of the week)

JulietRose

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Juliet
It's the height that is alluring. It's like first class vs coach, penthouse suite vs a single queen :lol:
I’m confused why they don’t choose the higher place though. Maybe the just have something against my bed lol!

donutweall

Walking the driveway
IMHO, being consistent about removing them or shoo-ing them away from the "forbidden zone" will help them understand not to go there.

You can also temporarily put something up there so they can't land- such as crumpled tinfoil. Yes it's ugly, but it doesn't have to stay forever. Try a week and see if it does the trick. If they land on it anyways, try a different material. I keep an empty paper bag on top of a shelf that I want to keep budgie free- if they fly close it falls off and startles them away. They mostly leave it alone now, though once in a while they try again.

JulietRose

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Juliet
IMHO, being consistent about removing them or shoo-ing them away from the "forbidden zone" will help them understand not to go there.

You can also temporarily put something up there so they can't land- such as crumpled tinfoil. Yes it's ugly, but it doesn't have to stay forever. Try a week and see if it does the trick. If they land on it anyways, try a different material. I keep an empty paper bag on top of a shelf that I want to keep budgie free- if they fly close it falls off and startles them away. They mostly leave it alone now, though once in a while they try again.
Thank you! I tried this, they are trying to land up there but get to scared and fly back down. Now they are landing on my quakers cage and sitting with him lol, luckily they are getting along so far, I’ll just keep an eye on them! I’m using tissues, so whenever they do land on there it slips a bit and they go back down.