• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Still having picking issues after 5 months

Wannabird2003

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Karen Z
So Jade, my BH Pionus, soon to be 15 yrs old started picking and plucking her feathers with a vengeance last August. She had never messed with her feathers except for normal preening until that time. She was doing this in specific areas- on her back under her wings and on the inner aspects of her legs up to the thigh.

I took her to her longtime avian vet in Miami who performed an exam, blood work, swabs and cultures and all were negative. He thought it might be food allergy related. I stopped the new food. I am trying to get away from the 2.5 hr drive so a month or so later, I took her to a local Avian and Exotics vet who also suggested a food allergy and said it could take some time to vacate her system.

A month or two later a friend said her bird was picking and she took him to another avian trained vet nearby who found mites and treated it. On the off chance, I took her there and although she did not have mites, that vet suggested that since Jade was around 15 yrs old and the area where she picks has sexual significance, he thought she might be experiencing "BIRDIE MENOPAUSE" as her hormones may be fluctuating. His only suggestion was a birdie Prozac which he said may or may not work and I am hesitant to try.

She still picks today only most of her feathers have grown back. At one time she had quarter sized bald spots. These now have downy feathers in place and it seems she only pulls the new green ones that have yet to fully open. She will go for a time with little picking and then as if on a cycle, she will pull a couple a day for a period. Her legs were filling in and then one day she started denuding one of them again.

I mention this to you all in hopes that someone might have some suggestions or experience with or thoughts on this. I keep hoping if it is a hormonal thing, she will outgrow it in time as many menopausal women do.

Zoepr143

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Zoë
:bump4:

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
:bump4:

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
So many suggestions and I am sure others will chime in with theirs so I will not list all. I suggest keeping your bird flighted and encouraging flight. By this I mean get your bird on hand and take to opposite and encourage her to fly from your hand back to your cage. He flight muscles get into shape and she starts enjoying flying around the room. Especially if there are few stations she can get to and use. Next I encourage sun light. The light does wonders. There has been a huge increase in relatively inexpensive big aviaries available on amazon and ebay. When the weather is nice, why not? You can also just get a cage that your bird can spend time in outside. I just prefer something bigger. Another is foraging. There are toys to buy and simple toys to make. A busy mind is better than a bored one.
Again these are just a couple of the several things to try for pluckers, shearers and over preeners. Adding any one of these may or may not help. Results can be instant or take a very long time. However they are all good for the birds.

Wannabird2003

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Karen Z
Thanks Javi for the suggestions. Jade does have a full spectrum light and does go out on the lanai with me when the weather is good (we live in southwest Florida) but she is not flighted. Some time ago I let her feathers grow in and she did a header into the sliding glass door. Fearing that she would break her neck, I had the wings trimmed. I can try the foraging more.

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
Perhaps putting a curtain or visible barrier in front of windows when she's out.