• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Stick Training an Adult GW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deejo

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
Coco was never stick-trained. At my home, every bird we've ever had, must be stick trained. Kind of the house rule:)
I feel it's very important. Bird sitters need to be able to safely & comfortably move your birds from one place to another if needed.
Of course, Coco was not impressed with the stick for the first day or 2. Now she steps up onto the stick instantly, no problem. Then I have her step up onto my arm or hand.
The way that I've found to keep a bird totally at ease with stepping up to a stick, is to do it daily.
With Coco, I use the stick 3-4 times per day & always will. She has to be totally used to it, at all times.

Since we often make out of town trips, it's essential in my opinion, to make things as easy and smooth for Coco and her bird sitter, as we can.

Another important reason to stick train, is in case of emergencies.
Our neighbor has a key to our house. If we're gone for the day, and there's some sort of emergency, anyone can use the stick to move Coco or get her into a travel carrier.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
All of my birds were stick trained at one point or another but because I rarely use it...they are now all terrified of sticks except Reggie. Doing it daily is a very good idea.

drop

Rollerblading along the road
Thanks for the reminder Doris, stick training is a good habit to keep up with. I tend to only use mine to get my guys up from way up high (I am quite short), so I don't necessarily use it every day. I will try to make a point of being more consistent.

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I agree 100% all of mine are, including Olivia now. Even my hadiabled Lucy will step up on a stick, I never trained her to do that.
I don't do it daily, but I think because it's a specific stick and it's always in their room they have no hesitation with it, or fear of it.

piercesdesigns

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
I'd love to see a video of you doing this.

I need to get on the ball and do this with my guys.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Coco was never stick-trained. At my home, every bird we've ever had, must be stick trained. Kind of the house rule:)
I feel it's very important. Bird sitters need to be able to safely & comfortably move your birds from one place to another if needed.
Of course, Coco was not impressed with the stick for the first day or 2. Now she steps up onto the stick instantly, no problem. Then I have her step up onto my arm or hand.
The way that I've found to keep a bird totally at ease with stepping up to a stick, is to do it daily.
With Coco, I use the stick 3-4 times per day & always will. She has to be totally used to it, at all times.

Since we often make out of town trips, it's essential in my opinion, to make things as easy and smooth for Coco and her bird sitter, as we can.

Another important reason to stick train, is in case of emergencies.
Our neighbor has a key to our house. If we're gone for the day, and there's some sort of emergency, anyone can use the stick to move Coco or get her into a travel carrier.
I

I want to stick train Ivan, but he was afraid of the stick, so I need to try with a smaller one. What do you use for your stick training?

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The one I use I made with a bird safe wood, the top part of a coke bottle, duck tape and rope.
It makes it very safe for anyone to transport my birds :)
Picture 137.jpg Picture 135.jpg Picture 136.jpg

Deejo

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
I

I want to stick train Ivan, but he was afraid of the stick, so I need to try with a smaller one. What do you use for your stick training?
Just a simple 18" dowel. No pop bottle covers, for hand protection; I've seen those and while they likely work great once a bird is used to them, I've found that it's not needed.
If you always hold the stick pointed slightly upwards, there is never a fear of being bitten.
All birds will move to the highest point of the stick.

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
No pop bottle covers, for hand protection;
Hehehe, that was done because Corkey would run up to bite my hubby ;)

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Just a simple 18" dowel. No pop bottle covers, for hand protection; I've seen those and while they likely work great once a bird is used to them, I've found that it's not needed.
If you always hold the stick pointed slightly upwards, there is never a fear of being bitten.
All birds will move to the highest point of the stick.
Yes, I think the bottle cover would make it more scary for Ivan. I do see the value for sure though if you have a bird you are anticipating will bite, but I think I just need to try it with a regular stick.

Birds4me

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Carol
Doris, I've also tried to stick train my guys, but they are scared to death of the evil perch, even though it is exactly like the ones in their cages. How do you go about doing this safely? My guys will fly into cage bars, drop to the bottom of the cage, if on a perch, they will try to fly off and end up landing with a thud of the tile floor. My guys are trimmed, but they can glide to the floor if the perch is not scaring them. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Carol :confused:

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
I use a four foot long, one half inch diameter dowel I bought at Home Depot. No painting, no hand guard, no decoration. If Pedro decides to rush me when I have him on the dowel, I drop it to the ground and he is forced to fly away from me instead of attack me. I have never had a bird hurt themselves when I drop the dowel due to aggression, but the birds also soon learned it was useless to try to attack while on the dowel. I can also use the handle of my three foot long 12 inch in diameter safety net (my safety, like when Pedro is attacking, and birds' safety like when they escape the birdroom or they are attacking another bird). I am very short and limited in being able to move around a ladder to get birds from high places (my birdroom ceiling is 12 feet), so I taught everyone step up onto the dowel so I can get to them when they are above my head.

Status
Not open for further replies.