• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Stepping up?

ArtfulAllison

Sitting on the front steps
I have recently adopted a gwm and he is really a very good bird. He will take food from my hand and I can even get him to come to me to get treats, like off the roof of his cage to the door, etc. And we were told by the man we rescued him from that he steps up but anytime I ask he gets upset, squawks, and backs away. Is it just something that needs time/patience to occur?

Kolkri

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angie
Maybe your asking wrong. Are you offering your arm or your hand. Do you sound like you mean it or do you sound unsure. Is your hand/arm close to your body are far away?

Mygcgbaby

Meeting neighbors
I have recently adopted a gwm and he is really a very good bird. He will take food from my hand and I can even get him to come to me to get treats, like off the roof of his cage to the door, etc. And we were told by the man we rescued him from that he steps up but anytime I ask he gets upset, squawks, and backs away. Is it just something that needs time/patience to occur?
we have a green cheek conure, he refused to step up when asked the first few days, then when he did do it when asked we verbally praised him and practiced steeping up every time we wanted him, or took him in or outta the cage. now he is a pro! and even steps down when asked, especially helpful when he wants to bite! practice, praise, and a soft happy tone helps also, hope this helped. good luck

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
If you just got him, it may still be a trust thing. Are you having him step up the same way his former owner did?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Congratulations on your new friend! Maybe just give him some more time, since he's still getting used to you. When he seems more comfortable you can try enticing him with a favorite treat.

ArtfulAllison

Sitting on the front steps
Maybe your asking wrong. Are you offering your arm or your hand. Do you sound like you mean it or do you sound unsure. Is your hand/arm close to your body are far away?
I usually offer my arm, and it is away from my body. I've tried my hand too away from my body also. He has been both in his cafe and perched on top of it when I have asked, and with and without treats. I usually just gently ask him in a friendly tone. The guy we rescued him from said he would step up from him only from outside his cage.