• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sprouts Nevermore...or never been...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jocund^eternal

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Two days ago, with some research, I started to sprout the All in One mix from Totally Organics, along with some quinoa (separate). Overnight, I soaked them after rinsing them rigorously. I was pleasantly surprised to see the quinoa with little tails the next day and I THOUGHT I knew I what I was doing.:D
The grain mix was nice and plump, and I swear I saw the tiniest tails just started to grow after a couple rinses throughout the day. Before going to bed, I rinsed the mix on a strainer and drained it as usual, but the next morning I was horrified to see it completely dried out. :eek: Are they still good to use? What do I need to do so this doesn't happen again? :confused:

Lauren and Jack

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Lauren Watson
Eventually I will get around to doing sprouts... I need to.

avianantics

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Shelly Wing
...and don't forget to feed them! Sprouts can be fed after an overnight soak and the smaller the tail the more nutritious the sprout. After they have soaked overnight they can be stored in the refrigerator. This actually slows down the sprouting process, so tails don't get too long -- long tails are very bitter. Always a good idea to soak for a few minutes in water and a few drops of ACV, then rinse thoroughly before feeding. Congratulations on sprouting -- this is absolutely the best nutrition you can give to your bird(s).

Jocund^eternal

Avenue Veteran
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Thank you!!! I just kept rinsing them and some have teeny tails now. Plus, I gave one to Moony and even though she hates wet seeds (like soaked) she ate this one :dance4:

Tangle Elf

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I soak them for a couple of days. I rinse them once a day, but I keep them submerged for the first couple of days. I put a couple of drops of GSE in the water each time. Even when I stop soaking them, if they dry out after rinsing, the spring up again the next time you rinse.

FreeByrd

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
What is "GSE" and "ACV?" I want to do this too.... Did not know that about the tails. :)

Jocund^eternal

Avenue Veteran
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
GSE is grape seed extract, ACV is apple cider vinegar. It helps prevent molding growing on the moist seeds, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.