• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sprouting seed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

moonchild

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I want to sprout some seed for my cockatiels, and for my RB2 when he comes home next month. I bought a sprout maker (if that's the right term? lol), just don't have the right seed yet.
What would be a good kind to buy that I could use for all my birds? The tiels' Volkman's seed mix has other stuff in it like pepper flakes, the occasional bit of dried fruit or veggie, etc., so I can't use that.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
There is also mix from Totally Organics (TOP), one is specailly for the little guys
Totally Organics TOP Organic Bird Pellets on the bottom half of page

I also was given this list for making my own parrot sprout mix from bulk seeds from somewhere like Vitamin Cottage or Whole Foods, this is generally what I do because it is cheaper. Be sure to buy from a place you trust where seed is not old and will germinate:
Herb seeds (pick 2 or more from this subcategory):

• Alfalfa
  • Bishop’s weed seeds
  • Broccoli
  • Canola
  • Fennel
  • Fenugreek
  • Mustard seeds (yellow, red, and black)
  • Radish seeds
  • Red clover seeds
Grain seeds (pick 2 or more from this subcategory):

• Amaranth
  • Barley
  • Brown rice
  • Buckwheat (whole)
  • Canary
  • Hemp seed
  • Kamut
  • Millets (yellow, red, white)
  • Niger
  • Oat (whole)
  • Quinoa
  • Rape
  • Rye berries
  • Spring rye
  • Triticale
  • Wheat berries (winter)
  • Whole kernel corn
Oil seeds (pick 2 or more from this subcategory):

• Flax seeds
  • Pumpkin seeds (raw; not roasted)
  • Sesame seeds (black, white, or brown)
  • Sunflower seeds (raw; not roasted)
Legumes: Beans and Peas (pick 2 or more from this subcategory):

• Adzuki beans
  • Black-eyed peas
  • Black turtle beans
  • Chick peas
  • Garbanzo (yellow and brown)
  • Green whole peas
  • Lentils (french, red, green)
  • Mung beans
  • Soy beans
  • Yellow trapper peas

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I would not add chia or flax seed to a sprout mix... they create a gel that does not rinse off :)

moonchild

Avenue Veteran
I have a bunch of legumes and grains that I bought a few months ago with the intention of making mash...I forgot about them though. Think it's too late to cook them? What about sprouting...? I didn't think about getting herb seeds, too -- that's a good idea.

danadear

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dana
I like Hollys Mix from The Sprout House. Shipping is a lot more reasonable especially if you buy the 5lb bucket from Amazon..it's free!

Just this weekend I decided to venture out and buy a variety of beans and seeds from the health food store. i was able to get more variety at a lower cost. I just used some lists of bird mixes I found on the internet as a guide but if I remember correctly this is what's in mine:

french lentils
red lentils
green lentils
amaranth
millet
adzuki beans
mung beans

mjones

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Melody
What exactly do I do? I bought some Totally Organics seed mix but when I got it, it doesn't really have any directions on how to sprout seeds. It says to soak them and for how long but what do I soak them in? What do I store them in? I am a total newbie to this so please help! :confused:

Sassyjaygrl

Real Name
Jessica
What exactly do I do? I bought some Totally Organics seed mix but when I got it, it doesn't really have any directions on how to sprout seeds. It says to soak them and for how long but what do I soak them in? What do I store them in? I am a total newbie to this so please help! :confused:

I have some too, and I tried to get it to sprout and nothing, so I do not know :(

heirofslytherin123

Real Name
Gabby
i just ordered the Sproutpeople.org "dr bird mix" and "lil bird mix" and the easy sprouter. gonna add it into my chop mix :)

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
I have some too, and I tried to get it to sprout and nothing, so I do not know :(
I also had trouble getting the TOPS organic seeds to sprout. They say they are at their best nutritionally just before the tails start coming out, but my birds didn't eat them all at once. Even after a couple more days they weren't sprouting a lot. I called the owner of the company and she said she would check into it with their supplier. I haven't heard back yet.

i use a sprouter, the cheap plastic one from Sprout People, $15 and it works great. So I probably wouldn't buy the TOPs again. There is a small outfit in Tarzana, CA, who make a nice mix that I bought while on vacation in SoCal. You can order from them, their name is Parrots Naurally. About 17 ingredients, mix of seeds, lentils, beans, etc. The sprouter from sprout people directs you to a YouTube video. It's very easy to use.

secuono

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Wheat is the 2nd best to easily sprout. I forget what the first is, but oats sucks butt!!!
You want to soak seeds for 24hrs. Then every morning, soak, rinse and put them back into the growing container. Repeat.
Depending on seed, temperature and genetics, it can take 4 to 14 days for them to actually sprout properly.

Check out Facebook rabbit breeding groups or sprout/forage groups, they will have more details. Do not bother with oats, they suck butt!!!

blackivory

Real Name
Chels
I have a batch soaking at the moment .. mung beans, premium wheat and green split peas. I'm about to do a final rinse and feed.

I have mine sitting in a warm window sill for about 24 hours while soaking. The weather here is still warm so it won't take as long.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
A few drops should be enough. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.