• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Splayed legs?

kanth

Strolling the yard
I've been considering getting another tiel for awhile, and I found a pair of males. I've been emailing their owner and she says they have "a leg injury" I think it's splayed legs, they are siblings who were born with the injury. I don't know if they've been to a vet. That's all I know about them now, but I'm going to let her know within a few days if I want them but before I commit I'd like an idea for cage setups and the differences in their care. I'm looking for things for them now but so far all I have picked out are some flat perches, I'm looking for a wider/shorter cage for them and I already have vet wrap and extra rope perches.

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have a Midwest Critter Nation single unit cage for Java and it's perfect! The bar spacing is 1/2. The only problem might be that there aren't any feeder doors but you could buy a rotating feeding station and cut some of the cage bars with bolt cutters to DIY a feeding station. Fleece would also give them padding and provide some traction so they could move around safely.

kanth

Strolling the yard
I have a Midwest Critter Nation single unit cage for Java and it's perfect! The bar spacing is 1/2. The only problem might be that there aren't any feeder doors but you could buy a rotating feeding station and cut some of the cage bars with bolt cutters to DIY a feeding station. Fleece would also give them padding and provide some traction so they could move around safely.
Is it big enough for both tiels? They're living together now so they're probably bonded

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Is it big enough for both tiels? They're living together now so they're probably bonded
Oh yeah! It's 36l x 24w x 39h. It's plenty big. You can see my bird, Java, on the side. He's 420 grams and 18 inches from beak to tail. Your teils will LOVE it! The cage weighs about 60lbs. and the doors open completely. It's perfect!
1535236191698821415628.jpg

kanth

Strolling the yard
Oh yeah! It's 36l x 24w x 39h. It's plenty big. You can see my bird, Java, on the side. He's 420 grams and 18 inches from beak to tail. Your teils will LOVE it! The cage weighs about 60lbs. and the doors open completely. It's perfect!
View attachment 284486
Oh wow that's a lot bigger than I'd thought it'd be! I'm going to get that cage if I get them

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh wow that's a lot bigger than I'd thought it'd be! I'm going to get that cage if I get them
It's a great cage! And it only cost me about $150

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Where did you get your flat perches? The ones I'm looking at online have mixed reviews and the ones I have for my non special needs birds are pretty small
I got the sun deck perch from Drs. Foster and Smith, but they have them on Amazon. I think I got all of his cage accessories from Amazon.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
And that large shelf in the top left corner comes with the cage.

kanth

Strolling the yard
I was just sent a picture of them and they look..pretty normal. Maybe it's the angle? On one of them the foot is pointed a little to the side but other than that, normal. One of them is a girl, the other one I can't really tell. IMG_20180825_093007.jpg - Google Drive

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
They look precious! I think you should get them. And the Critter Nation would still give them plenty of room, splayed legs or not. I got it for Java because he has no range of motion in his only leg and falls often. There are horizontal bars around the entire cage, which makes mobility for him easier than in a traditional bird cage.

kanth

Strolling the yard
They look precious! I think you should get them. And the Critter Nation would still give them plenty of room, splayed legs or not. I got it for Java because he has no range of motion in his only leg and falls often. There are horizontal bars around the entire cage, which makes mobility for him easier than in a traditional bird cage.
I'm going to meet them before I decide. If they are an opposite sex pair I'll reconsider, my lovebirds are already at risk for laying eggs and I don't want that x2. I'm going to try and tell if they're bonded, there are 2 other tiels in the cage with them so there's a chance they might not be. If they aren't bonded I'll probably only get one.

I think I'll get the critter nation for my gcc, he has a broken beak and sometimes falls when he overestimates himself and tries to climb vertical bars, for now he's in a smaller cage but that looks perfect for him.