• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Splayed legs, anything I could do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

loviebabies

Moving in
Real Name
Sarah
I rescued this sweet baby from a breeder who I guess didn't know what she was doing... He's so sweet, but he has these split legs, and his feet all clamped up. He can grab with his feet, he can hang onto my shirt and his cage, he gets around alright, but I just feel so bad, Im wondering if I could help him somehow? Like.. Is there some type of splint thing that could straighten his legs out? He's 3 1/2 years old, or a little older. Let me know:)

(I can post pictures of him! Just ask:))

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
I think, but I'm not positive that at this age it's too late. The best thing you can do is set up his area with his comfort and safely in mind. You could always check with your vet too. I would love to see a photo of him. We have many caring parronts here who have beautiful special needs babies and they will be on to help and greet you soon.

Ginger

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Please post pictures. We love pictures. About the legs I am not sure but I think 3 1/2 years is too old to correct them. Look up posts about Rodrigo. He is a very splay legged lovey. At this point cage modifications to help him get around are probably best for him.

Brooke

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Brooke
When they're young you can correct the splayed leg easily by using a splint. But once they are older, like your bird, the only way to fix the leg is to take it to the vet. They will put your bird under anesthesia, re-break the leg, and then set it. Even then it's not 100% guaranteed that it will fix the problem. This method is both costly and dangerous.
My IRN has a splayed leg and gets around fine. You just have to encourage him to be more independent to use his legs and not to get help from you. Make the cage more adaptable for him. Don't use concrete perches because if he sits on the sides of his foot, which my IRN does, the concrete can wear down the sides of his foot. Use rope perches, wood perches, just... softer perches. Maybe you can use the corner perches that are completely flat so he can sit on that. Most birds find those very helpful, I know Sheldon does :D

There are a lot of birds on this forum that have had there cage "handicapped" proofed. Look at the forum for pictures of the cages and maybe you can get some ideas :o:

kitsunebandit

Avenue Veteran
They don't like too splayed really, they seem fairly close together. It appears to be more about his feet. Ask a vet, he may have paralysed feet or something? He's adorable nonetheless

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
When a bird is still a chick/fledgeling I believe splayed legs can be corrected by putting "stocks" around the legs to help bring them inwards but I believe your Citrus is past the age where doing that would help. We're always begging for "pitchers" so please post as many as you want we'll love them all.

And welcome to AA - :greet7:. :dance4::dance4:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
absolutely adorable.....I do believe it is too late for the straightening but he can have a good life..we have platforms for Lord Maxwell Studmuffin and flat surfaces that he can go on...just make sure his cage is set up for a handicap and that you provide an outside area for him as well.

loviebabies

Moving in
Real Name
Sarah
His cage is big, he likes it that way. No wire on the bottom, just newspaper and some bedding, a soft blanket. But he mostly hangs out on the second level of the cage on the bars:)

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hes adorable, and seems to get around ok. I love his name.:heart:

Birdy_in_VT

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kurt
It looks like his feet are unable to perch and like our Zazu hangs from the top so that they get that perching sensation. When he isn't hanging, he's on the bottom as well. We use fleece just because he has to drag himself from place to place. We keep it as tidy as possible and it works for him. He seems fully feathered and if he seems happy the way he is, I would leave it as is.

We tortured ourselves when Zazu was a baby on what types of things we could do but everything caused stress. So we decided to let nature do it's thing and he's a happy baby a year later. No plucking and swings like a monkey making all kinds of happy noises.

avianantics

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Shelly Wing
Splayed legs can be corrected with hobbles or splints when the babies are very young. I have a U2 that was a "straddle" baby. We did hobble her, and tried a number of other things, but she then threw both her legs to one side, so that one leg ended up being splayed. Her knee actually set at a 30 degree angle away from her body. When she was 6 weeks old Brian Speer did surgery and corrected the leg by breaking it and moving it in 30 degrees (the amount of splay) and pinning it. She healed well and now you would never know she ever had an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.