• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Spinal Concussion: Green cheek conure

miima

Moving in
By unfortunate circumstances my son's green cheek conure, Henry, was attacked by my ex-partners female Ekky.
They we not purposely out and about at the same time.

I have never had to deal with this sort of thing before so I madly called around the vets, none of which had any bird experience. I found one 1.5 hours away. I honestly thought Henry was dying and that he wouldn't even make half of the trip there, but he did and it has been 3 days since the attack.
When he was admitted to the hospital he was using one foot to scratch his head, he couldn't move his neck and was laying on his back madly flapping around breathing very odd.

I left him overnight and he had an xray. The next day we were told that he was moving his neck more and able to sit up more rather then lay on his back, but that he was being tube fed, had on and off function of one foot and none of the other, hadn't had bowel movement and that the xray showed some very concerning things.
They compared his xray to a healthy bird and an obese bird and showed us how his air sacs were very squashed like an obese bird and that the xray indicated internal swelling and bleeding but no obvious breaks or fractures. They have had him on anti-inflammatories and fluids. They seemed to doubt my story and asked if I actually saw what happened and that it couldn't have possibly been my children as his injuries looked more like he had been stepped on then attacked.
the following day they said he had a go at feeding himself in the evening and that he did 2 big poops. That he had a bit more control of his legs and was upright more often.
Yesterday they said he had fed himself all day and had improved slightly in leg control and has had bowel movements but that they were not regular and they were still a little concerned.
They said they would take him out of his hot box and try him in a cage tomorrow.

I am so shocked by how much he appears to have improved. They are thinking that all of his symptoms could be caused from a spinal concussion.

Has anyone had a bird with a spinal concussion? Does this seem familiar? How was your bird after coming home? Did they seem different? Was there any special treatment or rehab you had to do with them?

miima

Moving in
forgot to mention that they said yesterday that they think the issue with his air sacs could have been pressure from his bowel

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
I have no experience with this in birds. A spinal concussion is bruising and swelling of the spinal cord. In people the treatment is rest, steroids and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatories. After the swelling is decreased gentle physical therapy to all affected limbs.

For a bird I would assume opening and closing foot and gentle stretching and range of motion exercises to the leg/legs and wing/wings.

QBird

Jogging around the block
Oh my, never faced this and I do hope Henry keeps recovering it must be traumatizing for all of you.
I hope more people can give you some advice. The vet should also be able to answer many of your questions if that would help put your mind at ease (?)

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
So sorry to hear Henry got hurt. I've never experienced this with any of my birds so I am no help but I hope he continues to improve and heals well and is back to normal soon.

Lo_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
I have no experience with this but just wanted to say that I am glad to read that there seem to be improvements :) Sending positive thoughts and energy your, your sons, and Henry's way for a speedy, smooth recovery! :hug8:

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Rapid improvement after treatment is a hallmark of a reversible form of spinal shock or concussion. This is very good news. He may have permanent deficits, but the crucial goal is normal bowel function and independent feeding. Unfortunately, you have to wait and see how much functionality he recovers.

Sending warm fuzzy hugs and healing energy your way.

lwis

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Leah
Sorry this happened to Henry. I hope he has a full recovery. :hug8:

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Best wishes to Henry and hopes for a speedy recovery! :hug8:

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I am glad you got him to the avian ASAP! He sounds as if he is improving daily which is wonderful news! :hug8:

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I hope he improves daily :hug8:We use steroids injections at the wildlife center for spinal injuries, but never dealt with it on my own birds.