• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Spider issues!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
So, I have in the past had to remove a huge spider from my pond because it was trying to catch my fish! I didn’t believe what I was seeing at first but the longer I watched the more concerned I was that he was a good size match for my goldfish that he seemed intent on stalking and chasing about under the water.
I believe it was a wolf spider as it looked and moved just the same as the other wolf spiders I have encountered here once I got him out of the pond and saw him closer up I was absolutely certain he was a wolf spider.
I have not actually been able to find any information about wolf spiders in particular being classed as one of the few spiders who will stay under water to catch fish to eat.
Today there is another one of these spiders checking my fish out from the side wall on the bottom of the pond and because I have caught and removed so many of them now I am getting really curious about the whole thing. By the time I got my phone he had moved and I cannot find him again at the moment.

Does anyone have first hand experience of spiders living in the water of their pond stalking their fish? I want to know how to prevent my fish being eaten by spiders and I also want a fish pond as opposed to a spider pond!

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I've not heard of that! :confused: Are you able to post a picture of the culprit?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Dolomedes facetus in that article looks like a wolf spider but eats fish and is in Australia!

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Dolomedes facetus in that article looks like a wolf spider but eats fish and is in Australia!
I know we do have some fish eaters but the one I actually captured to check out was so similar to a wolf spider in every way and I couldn’t convince myself otherwise no matter how many pictures I looked at.
@faislaq I will try to get a pic but it’s not the easiest thing to do which is why I ended up removing the first one....so I could get a better look at it. I kept it for a few days to try and find a pic of a fish eating spider around this area that looked like my invader. Everyone agreed it looked most like a wolf spider than any of the others.
I might try to contact the museum and see if I can send this one in if it turns out to be the same as the last one. I’ve done that before with unusual critters I’ve found and they used to identify them for you.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I am just so curious at this point because of how many I’ve removed. The first one was by far the largest.

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
So, I have in the past had to remove a huge spider from my pond because it was trying to catch my fish! I didn’t believe what I was seeing at first but the longer I watched the more concerned I was that he was a good size match for my goldfish that he seemed intent on stalking and chasing about under the water.
I believe it was a wolf spider as it looked and moved just the same as the other wolf spiders I have encountered here once I got him out of the pond and saw him closer up I was absolutely certain he was a wolf spider.
I have not actually been able to find any information about wolf spiders in particular being classed as one of the few spiders who will stay under water to catch fish to eat.
Today there is another one of these spiders checking my fish out from the side wall on the bottom of the pond and because I have caught and removed so many of them now I am getting really curious about the whole thing. By the time I got my phone he had moved and I cannot find him again at the moment.

Does anyone have first hand experience of spiders living in the water of their pond stalking their fish? I want to know how to prevent my fish being eaten by spiders and I also want a fish pond as opposed to a spider pond!
Yikes!!! I'm not particularly fond of spiders. But one as big as a gold fish? Ahhh, nope not even going to look closely.
Maybe Mr. Ball legs from "Santa Clara diet" paid you a visit, yea? No??....
Now my favorite bug is.....
IMG_20191007_174126_hdr.jpg

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Yikes!!! I'm not particularly fond of spiders. But one as big as a gold fish? Ahhh, nope not even going to look closely.
Maybe Mr. Ball legs from "Santa Clara diet" paid you a visit, yea? No??....
Now my favorite bug is.....
View attachment 324630
Can’t say I’m familiar with this Mr Ball legs you mention (sorry) but I am really not bothered much by spiders but stick insects and praying mantis really freak me out! Lol.
Only the first one I pulled out of the pond was as big as my fish. The others have been much smaller... still possibly big enough to be a problem but I’m not certain.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Ugh!!! Spiders attacking your fish! After reading the article on fishing spiders I would say that's what type of spider you have around your pond. The biggest fish on record being caught by a fishing spider was 9 cm. Correct me if I'm doing my math wrong but there are 25 mm to one inch. 1 cm = 10 mm ..... 9cm x 10mm = 90 divided by 24 = 3.6 inches long for that fish. How big are your pond fish? I always thought pond goldfish could reach a good size. Maybe those are the baby fish it hunts?

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Hmm good question maybe on a guess they’d be around 4-6cm. I’ll have to check now lol.
From a quick google search your math seems to be about right :)

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Can’t say I’m familiar with this Mr Ball legs you mention (sorry) but I am really not bothered much by spiders but stick insects and praying mantis really freak me out! Lol.
Only the first one I pulled out of the pond was as big as my fish. The others have been much smaller... still possibly big enough to be a problem but I’m not certain.
Ahhhhh, you haven't met mr. Ball legs from Netflixs Santa Clara diet....here he is!! For real though , They have spiders as big as a big dinner plate!!! They eat birds!!! I kid you not.
I think down in Brazil Amazon area.

mv5bytqyzdk4zjytytzims00yzdhlwfkn2ytnmmxnguzmdvmodc2xkeyxkfqcgdeqxvymjqznjuynzg-_v1_.jpg

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Ugh!!! Spiders attacking your fish! After reading the article on fishing spiders I would say that's what type of spider you have around your pond. The biggest fish on record being caught by a fishing spider was 9 cm. Correct me if I'm doing my math wrong but there are 25 mm to one inch. 1 cm = 10 mm ..... 9cm x 10mm = 90 divided by 24 = 3.6 inches long for that fish. How big are your pond fish? I always thought pond goldfish could reach a good size. Maybe those are the baby fish it hunts?
They have spiders so big it would take up your dinner plate and then some....they eat birds!!!

Sodapop&Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
We do get some wicked sized huntsman spiders but the same size wolf spiders are more freaky for most people (l love the huntsmans) as the huntsmans are so non aggressive but the wolf spiders are fast and threaten to bite if cornered.... they also jump quite some distance sometimes. Spiders really are fascinating!!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I have a scar on my right ankle from a wolf spider. I never felt the bite and I wear socks that aren't loose fitting. One night when I was bringing one of my dogs back in the house from the yard I had him in my arms to wipe his feet and saw a good sized wolf spider next to my foot, not on me. I can't remember now if I squished it or not. But in the following days my ankle was super itchy so I thought I had mosquito bites. A couple of red spots just like a mosquito bite. The itching didn't go away and then those spots got blisters and festered because I scratched them. Got pretty nasty and it took a while to heal. The scars are dark areas that have lasted for I think around 4 years. I'm not fond of spiders at all.

Many years ago... I was outside with my big standard poodle. Always with a leash since our yard isn't fenced. He wandered towards the back so I followed where it was dark ( the spot light only shines but so far) and I walked into a big web. This type of spider isn't small and builds it's web late to catch bugs. Of course, I had no idea where the spider could be so I backed away and swatting at my head.. running to the house and I lost my balance wearing my slip on yard shoes and was trying so hard to catch my step and ended up falling badly. I just laid there wondering if I broke something before I tried to get up. Luckily, I didn't break any bones but my elbow jabbed my ribs so hard when I fell. I told this story to a surgeon I see every year who keeps up with me on my mammograms and he does a yearly exam. Since I told him the story he brings it up every time I see him. Last year he had a new assistant with him in the room and was recounting that spider story. He was laughing so hard he almost doubled over with tears in his eyes. I guess he imagines the whole scenario and can't help but laugh. Yes... a bit weird he thinks it was so funny still after all these years. I'll be seeing him fairly soon since I just had my mammogram the 30th and I wonder if he'll still bring that story up. I guess I'll have to tell him about the copperhead snake I slammed the door on to keep it from coming in the garage just to get rid of the spider story. He'll love the new story since the snakes head was inside the door when I slammed it... One PO'd snake I tell ya!!!

BertAllen

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Dave
I have seen lots of fishing spiders here in Ontario. I wish they would fill the minnow buckets up when we are up north but no they eat the minnows.

We do have these though and bites can be real nasty.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Spider bite doesn’t sound nice at all but I hope you can give your surgeon a new fun story to stir you with. I’m sure the snake one will override that spider one!

Lol. My mum is terrified now she’s found out that both our neighbours found brown snakes in their yards in the same week and one of them watched the snake go to their yard from ours. Lmao. It’s pretty obvious they would be here but she never thought anything about it till the neighbours bragged about killing the snakes. That actually upsets me as they could have been chased off into the paddock behind our homes instead if being killed but some people would rather get rid of them and pretend they are now safe as opposed to just being smart and making lots of noise while in the garden. Bang the back of a shovel on the ground a heap of times and the snakes flee.