• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sore on back

laurencann

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
About a week ago we noticed, Rocko, our cockatiel making weird sounds while grooming his back. He is a rehome who loves sitting on shoulders but does not like being pet or handled much otherwise. We thought he maybe had a sore pin feather. It seemed to be getting more often, so we finally today we held him down and took a closer look. In hindsight we obviously should have done this sooner.

He is otherwise acting, eating, and pooping normal.

We feel we can wait until normal business hours to go to the vet. Should we leave it alone until then or put something on it.

Attachments

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but I'm pretty sure that Rocko is a female cockatiel, not a male. I see all female markings in that image, and looking at a previous picture of Rocko, it appears that Rocko is a pearl cockatiel. Female pearls have brighter faces than non-pearl hens. Not only that, but male cockatiels lose their pearls (they look like normal, wild type males) where-as females keep them.

Here's a picture I have of a female pearl cockatiel, and her father, split pearl, in the background.

Knowing that information may potentially be important when you take Rocko in to see the a-vet - although I agree with the others, it's not an emergency (as in, she's probably going to be ok and doesn't need to be seen right away), it's still a good idea to take her in asap! (when the vets office is open and capable of seeing Rocko)

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Poor Rocko! I hope her/his sore will heal fast!:unsure1:

Tanya

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
You might want to ask for viral testing. Some viruses can lead to very severe picking.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Hope it heals quickly! :)