• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Some Questions From A First-Time Bird Owner

Wendy Jones

Moving in
Real Name
Wendy Jones
I’m also new to parrots and have a young green cheek named Kiki. He also will pick up pellets and seems to taste it with his to tongue them drops it. I thought that maybe it is to hard for him to bite into so i will try some of the ideas posted here. Thanks

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
Thanks again for the advice and the warm welcome.

A few hours ago, and again a few minutes ago, I offered her some pellet mash. Both times, she took a bite, then promptly began rubbing and biting in an attempt to get it off, so I'm guessing the mash is a no-go. The way she goes for the dry pellets each time I give her one makes me think that she wants to eat them, but they're too big for her, as a few suggested. Is there any way that I could grind up her pellets without the use of a blender/grinder?

If grinding them doesn't work, I might have to try to get a hold of some of the formula that the breeder was feeding her.

I forgot my most valuable piece of advice: be persistent! It took me months to get my budgies onto pellets, but they ended up being very adventurous eaters. Seriously, they can be incredibly stubborn, but one day they'll surprise you :)

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
What everyone said! She will regress,,,she needs comfort feeding,,..since shes recently weaned..it'll also help with the bonding process,,,be very patient with her...she will learn
:hug8:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

I forgot my most valuable piece of advice: be persistent! It took me months to get my budgies onto pellets, but they ended up being very adventurous eaters. Seriously, they can be incredibly stubborn, but one day they'll surprise you :)

Agreed! Jingo didn't eat anything but seeds for 6 months. He still is troublesome about changing pellets once he decides he likes something, and he sometimes changes his mind just because :lol:, but he eats all veggies, fruits, and grains put before him now :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Thanks again for the advice and the warm welcome.

A few hours ago, and again a few minutes ago, I offered her some pellet mash. Both times, she took a bite, then promptly began rubbing and biting in an attempt to get it off, so I'm guessing the mash is a no-go. The way she goes for the dry pellets each time I give her one makes me think that she wants to eat them, but they're too big for her, as a few suggested. Is there any way that I could grind up her pellets without the use of a blender/grinder?

If grinding them doesn't work, I might have to try to get a hold of some of the formula that the breeder was feeding her.

Sure you can do that. What kinds of pellets are you feeding? Most have smaller sizes available.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome