• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Some Halloween Videos Of My Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Thank you Jennylyn,Cindy, and Miriam.:)
Carole you would think that high lighting would make the plants do very well. I know they put Oxygen in the water but I hear conflicting things on plant food, some say it helps your plants grow and do well and others say it is not needed. I got a bottle of Api plant food but have not needed to use it as of yet. I hope it will not hurt my Discus. I am so weird about too many chemicals in my tanks. I have green algae that is growing on the insides of the glass and on my logs. I went today and bought more live plants LOL...I am addicted to making my Discus Tank all natural. I actually go to my first Aquarium Society meeting this Wed so I am pretty stoked about that :) The one guy that holds the meetings has 300 tanks and I am going to enjoy seeing his setups. There is also a lady that will be there that raises Discus and she is going to be talking about. Discus so I will be all ears. I would be interested in joining a plant keeping forum so yes please share. Thank you so much for your wealth of info
If you want plants to really grow, depending on the type...most plants do better with the proper amount of ferts. Algae is usually waiting for the imbalance to take over and out-compete the plant growth. When you say "green" algae, exactly what type? If it is just film algae, that is ok. If it is hair algae, that's another situation. If the water is green, that is still another completely different type. Identifying the algae will help eliminate it. Just the right balance of all elements is what keeps a planted tank stable. It also depends on what you want out of it, and what type of plants you are keeping. What type of lighting do you have? Some plants do ok with low lighting, such as anubias, cryptocorynes,mosses...some kinds of swords, aponogetons, etc.
Here are a couple links~
Aquarium Algae ID (updated May6th '10 Surface Skum)
Freshwater Algae Types: An Illustrated Guide - Article at The Age of Aquariums - Tropical Fish
Here are some forums
I like this one-Tom Barr frequents this site-he has a lot of knowledge
The Planted Tank Forum
This is Tom Barr's site-I see he finally got rid of the dark color the forum used to be. I couldn't look at it, so never got used to going there...but he knows what he is doing.
Aquarium Plants - Barr Report - Subscribe to the Barr Report
this one has high end tanks & aquascaping{people were a bit stuffy to me}
AquaScaping World Forum
this one is run by a friend of mine from Gainesville who also frequents the other sites, and is the go to guy for CO2 equipment
APE - Aquatic Plant Enthusiasts | A Planted Aquarium Community - Powered by vBulletin

Here is a low tech thread
Low Tech Tank Show-and-Tell (low tech can be lush, too! =)

There are other forums I am a member of...here in the states, and other countries. Some are specific to types of fish or invertebrates. This should get you started anyway.:D

Last edited:

Kia

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jennylyn
Thanks so much for those links. It is for sure green spot algae. I am due to do my weekly water change so once again I will scrape it off. I will check out the forums after I get back from my Aquarium meeting. Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.