• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Soft or hard feather?

Clairecanary15

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Claire
Hi

Can anyone help me decide if Charlie in the pictures below is a soft or hard feather. I don't find it very easy to tell with the brown colours. He has fawn, White ground colour and grey like his dad who is a Blue.
I apologise for the pictures in advance as he is skittish with the phone. 20180714_151907-1.jpg 20180714_151856.jpg 20180714_151851.jpg

sheeluhwhet

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Gemma
Man, I wish I knew more about this stuff. Though after doing a quick google search, Id like to say soft? If be had hard feathers, should his body shape be more visible?
(Im not sure though, I'm just making an educated-ish guess lol)

Clairecanary15

Real Name
Claire
Im with you there @sheeluhwhet. Im leaning towards soft too but I am unsure and dont want to put him with a hard feather if not. The hard feather is more sleek..so beautifully put about his body shape being more visible

Serin

It's not a fawn, it's a blue, though not all blue are really gray, and this one looks more brown.
It looks like a hard feather to me

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
@sheeluhwhet @iamwhoiam Hard feathering has more to do with color than the ‘feel’ of a feather.

So a hard feather is a non-frost. The color goes right to the end. Hard also has a different shape than soft, I believe it is wider at the base whereas a soft is more what we consider the regular, or more oblong feather shape.

I believe this is a hard feathered bird and his color is blue. He is beautiful. If he was a soft feather I think you could see some of the white ground but I’m not sure that’s correct.

The reason this is important is you don’t want to breed Hard x hard You end up with lots of lumps and feather cysts and a 25% mortality rate in chicks.

Last edited:

Serin

You actually don't want to breed hard to hard. There is a lethal factor. There is no lethal factor in soft canaries, but it can produce feather cysts if done over many generations. The purebred gloster canary only has a soft feather variant and it is rather prone to feather cysts.

Still, I've bred soft x soft a few times and had really high fertility, five fertile eggs a clutch.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@sheeluhwhet @iamwhoiam Hard feathering has more to do with color than the ‘feel’ of a feather.

So a hard feather is a non-frost. The color goes right to the end. Hard also has a different shape than soft, I believe it is wider at the base whereas a soft is more what we consider the regular, or more oblong feather shape.

I believe this is a hard feathered bird and his color is blue. He is beautiful. If he was a soft feather I think you could see some of the white ground but I’m not sure that’s correct.

The reason this is important is you don’t want to breed Hard x hard You end up with lots of lumps and feather cysts and a 25% mortality rate in chicks.

That's very interesting. Never knew about hard and soft feathering. Don't remember ever seeing a canary that color. He is quite beautiful.

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
I don't know anything about hard and soft feathers but you have a gorgeous powder puff and I just want to squish him and his floooooooooooff.

How do you canary people ever find the time to do anything with all that fluff around to kiss???

sheeluhwhet

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Gemma

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
ow do you canary people ever find the time to do anything with all that fluff around to kiss???
It is really hard Garet! They are so beautiful, and very silly. Like my male Gloster tries to take a bath on his broccoli.

did a little more digging and came across this. I'm wondering if any of y'all will find it useful?
The Canary Handbook - Matthew M. Vriends, Tanya M. Heming-Vriends - Google Books
Hey thank you for that! I read everything I can get my hands on - will definitely read that one.

Clairecanary15

Real Name
Claire
Hi all

Thankyou to everyone who has replied wow.

I learnt a while ago that a canary can be either a hard or soft feather type. It was a real issue for me and I had to work out what I had in the avairy. I had no clue about either and done extensive research.

Thankfully Charlie's parents is a hard x soft which is the perfect combination by breeding standards across the board. However as many have said it is safe for a soft x soft should the offspring not be bred with a soft feather..this is then called double buffing and leads to the feather being increasingly softer. 1-2 generations of double buffing is ok but then a hard x soft or soft x hard is required to bring the feather back into condition.

There is alot of terminology that basically means the same thing.

Soft feather could also be called =
buff, non-intensive, frosted, schimmel & mealy

Hard feather could also be called =
Yellow (not the colour), intensive, non-frosted & jonque.

I actually prefer the terms intensive and non-intensive.

A hard x hard does cause the lethal factor of 25% of the clutch, unhatched eggs and death of hatched chicks. The lethal factor also occurs by dominant white x dominant white. Genetics is a mine field but very interesting.

sheeluhwhet

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Gemma
Great job with the research @Clairecanary15 ! And yay for Charlie!

I was wondering what intensive and non-intensive meant (i came across a breeding chart during my google search). This is an extra question, but how do you prevent your birds from breading with the wrong birds??? Do you introduce new birds or rehome them??

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Great job with the research @Clairecanary15 ! And yay for Charlie!

I was wondering what intensive and non-intensive meant (i came across a breeding chart during my google search). This is an extra question, but how do you prevent your birds from breading with the wrong birds??? Do you introduce new birds or rehome them??
Yes you’d have to separate the birds (during breeding season) and/or rehome related ones. I have the 2 parent birds and an extra hen so two years ago I kept one male to pair with my hen. Which was not successful lol. Anyway now I have the hurricane Irma babies. One is in love with her brother! They live in a group flight cage with no nest so all is good. The young ones I mean. The original 2 parents, Mama and Robin, have their own flight. They’re allowed to come out during flying time but they have to go back in the right cage at night.

You could also just toss eggs if there were any, and not provide nests.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Odd. I went back and put in paragraphing so it’d be easier to read... and it went away. Sorry!

Clairecanary15

Real Name
Claire
@sheeluhwhet

To prevent the wrong pairings I sent photos of each canary to a breeder I know to determine which was which feather type at the start of this saga. I have then learnt from him and through other resources. I still find it difficult to tell the difference with browns, greys and clears though..hence posting on here. Thankfully the hard/intensive feathers paired with the non-intensives/soft feathers..phew. If I find a fallen feather it is easier to tell.

The young I have are either sold or kept but moved to a different location to stop inbreeding.

Intensive and non-intensive still means the same as the other feather types. The feather types are genetic, like dominant and recessive. Dominant and recessive has a different meaning to the intensive and non-intensives. Its just about ones own preference.