• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Socializing Young Parrots

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Very interesting!
I have always wondered why so many articles tell you to remove the bark when making your own perches as I’ve watched many wild birds (mainly SC2’s) having a blast removing the bark from branches themselves. I always leave the bark on the branches I use for Burt (and now Pip and Squeak too), they really do seem to enjoy stripping it and sometimes playing with it.
It’s interesting to think they do consume things like bark in the wild but we remove that pleasure from them for fear of crop impaction or potential problems. I can understand removing toys they are ingesting but I sometimes think we worry a little too much about a lot of the natural items we offer our birds. They are smart animals and are naturally programmed to know a lot of what they need.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Mine consumes both bark and smaller parts of mostly apple branches. That is natural for them.
They also eats parts of the blueberry plant. (Swedish wild plants)
To eat fresh grass, herbs and other green things from outside I think is important. I see that they in period eat different things so I'm sure of that they eat what they need if they have that opportunity.