• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Socializing macaws

MacawwingZ

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Casey
Does anyone have suggestions on how to socialize Macaws with each other. I got my fist macaw about a year ago and a she is the most fantastic bird but me being new to birds and not knowing what I was doing I felt like she was too lonely when I was at work so wheb an opportunity came up to adopt a Macaw I had fallen in love with before I was ready to make the leap Into getting a bird and of course I said yes. The problem is they do not get along at all. I've gotten to the point where I usually just take them out at different times but it's starting to weigh on me and I was even considering rehoming the newer one a few weeks back but I really love him and I don't want him to become a statistic that gets bounced around from home to home. So if anyone has any suggestions to work with them that I can try they would be greatly appreciated

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

conure64

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Hannah
I had to introduce my macaw to my conure a while back :) I got them together at a time when they'd just finished eating and were really mellow. I gave Rocky a walnut and Leia a pistachio so they'd be busy cracking their nuts while I got them together closer and closer. Within no time, they were sharing the same perch and touching beaks. But it varies, both of them were very social birds, with shier birds it may be more difficult.

Macaw Lover

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
You can never guarantee any two birds will get along. That is something that you need to accept before another enters your life.

Of my 3, no two get along but I can have 2 of them on me at the same time, they just know to stay a beaks distance away from each other. Just because they don't get along is no reason to rehome anyone in my opinion you just need to learn to do a little bit better balancing act and things will work themselves out and making sure they each have their own play stands/area helps so they can be out at the same time.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I suggest that you keep them in cages in the same room, but across the room for a couple of months. Move the cages closer as time goes by until they are next to each other, but can't reach each other. You can take them out either singly or both at the same time but put them both on perches well separated from each other for weeks. Let them get used to each other without having the opportunity to interact. As the show signs of interest in each other, you can move the perches closer together. If they show aggression in the cage or on the perches, move them farther away.

Them becoming friends will not happen overnight and will take a lot of patience from you and you can't rush them.

MacawwingZ

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Casey
They both have their own play stands, I actually have 3 Java trees in my room and some things hanging from the ceiling. They do really well in the same area and their cages are right next to each other and I don't see any problems. I can even sit and watch a movie with one on one side of me and one on the other but if one accidentally touches the other one it results in a fight. I don't usually see any signs of aggression until they are about a foot apart and I do try to watch their body language the best I know how.

Chihuahua

my two main men (orion and gabby b) bicker sometimes but over time have gotten used to each other and even contact call to one another. this is over the course of around 5 months and now they sometimes will eveb eat together. just takes time and patience. they lunge and yell but have never actually fought.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
They both have their own play stands, I actually have 3 Java trees in my room and some things hanging from the ceiling. They do really well in the same area and their cages are right next to each other and I don't see any problems. I can even sit and watch a movie with one on one side of me and one on the other but if one accidentally touches the other one it results in a fight. I don't usually see any signs of aggression until they are about a foot apart and I do try to watch their body language the best I know how.

You can't ask for more than that. Sam and Korbel do not want to be together BUT they do not want to be a part either. ;) They are a flock. :) If an alligator came into the house to swallow a bird Korbel would knock Sam out of the tree, but he would miss him later. Lol

Last edited:

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This sounds good and it's exactly what my two do; they are visual friends ONLY, but they are friends. They find comfort in each others presence and are very visually bonded to each other. Peace reigns as long as they never are close enough to have to physically interact. They have been with me 10 years and we've never had an accidental bite. ~knock wood~

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
You can't ask for more than that. Sam and Korbel do not want to be together BUT they do not want to be a part either. ;) They are a flock. :) If an giant alligator came into the house to swallow a bird Korbel would knock Sam out of the tree, but he would miss him later. Lol
Lots of darned alligators in Wisconsin.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
^^^LOL LOL LOL ^^^^

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Lots of darned alligators in Wisconsin.

:p I could not think of anything at the time. :laugh: We have racoons and possums! Coyote maybe... okay I retract, giant coyote!

Crazy4parrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
You can't ask for more than that. Sam and Korbel do not want to be together BUT they do not want to be a part either. ;) They are a flock. :) If an alligator came into the house to swallow a bird Korbel would knock Sam out of the tree, but he would miss him later. Lol
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::lol:

msplantladi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Imagine being thrown into a room and being forced to make friends...just not gonna happen...my two macaws tolerate each other, I am ok w/ that.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
You could do some station training with them and essentially teaching them to ignore the other bird in favor of rewards.