• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Socializing and introducing lovebird babies

Status
Not open for further replies.

merrin091

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Merrin
She is separated from her mate, but they vocalize to each other which is sweet and sad but I know the moment they meet she would get mad again. Anyway, she's just great with her chicks, she teaches them everything! :dance5:From eating seeds, to cleaning feathers and picking food from their beaks. She's teaching them to fly now, but the chicks are just too scared :lol:The lovebird's mate is doing fine in his cage, although a little lonely, but the perches and the toys keeps him company.

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Yes. I agree with Ellen. :needpics:

I'm glad she's being a good mommy bird. :heart: Just be careful she doesn't get too antsy to have them "out of the house" when they're ready. ;)

merrin091

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Merrin
But just a question, do you know any good homemade toys I can make for them when we play? Apparently I have posted a thread asking how to make homemade toys but no one has answered it yet :p

Feather

Avenue Veteran
I use stuff from the dollar store (Dollar Tree, specifically) a lot. Woven baskets, willow wreaths, popsicle sticks, solid plastic baby shower favors (such as this: http://s7.orientaltrading.com/is/image/OrientalTrading/42_1294-p?$FULL_SIZE$ ), drinking straws, cotton rope, rubber bath toys, pony beads, etc. Also, from thrift stores, you can sometimes find things like acrylic dominos, giant legos, and the like which you can boil and sanitize.
Plain paper and cardboard can be used to make some fun toys, too. And I've heard of people using plain, unwaxed Dixie cups. I'm constantly on the scavenge for potential toy parts. I usually just make my toys up as I go along, but there are plenty of sites with instructions on how to make toys. I'll see if I can look some up for you right now.

My lovies especially like leather, paper; soft, thin wood; and bells. My budgies love popsicle sticks and blocks of bird safe wood with the bark still on, and, again, bells.

ETA: Found these sites: The Toymaker DIY Bird Toys- Make Your Bird Toys. Exotic birds & parrots bird toy ideas.
CheepParrotToysNTips...Welcome!!!

Last edited:

merrin091

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Merrin
My chicks are 8 weeks old now, i put them out the box during the day to get them used to the cage, they act like adult birds, so cute! :hug8:

merrin091

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Merrin
2012-04-30 11.52.17.jpg 2012-04-30 11.53.23.jpg 2012-04-30 11.55.13.jpg 2012-04-30 11.56.28.jpg

There you go :D These are the bird pictures of my lovebugs... Ok again, I'm saying that I did not want them to cross breed (if ever that's possible). My female had a lovebird mate before she killed it and was left with the budgie, they weren't fighting so we did not separate them until she started to so we took the male away. One morning we heard little chirps and to our surprise found two featherless chicks in the nesting box! :eek: I thought that the female had stored the sperm of her male lovebird before she killed it, my uncle thought it can't be cause that was like months ago. Well, whatever happened doesn't matter. The chicks are here to stay! They will be healthy birdies and I won't let them die. :heart:

love4birds

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Megan
Are you sure you have a male budgie and female lovebird? Those are normal budgie chicks. Very cute, but absolutely nothing unusual about them:)

merrin091

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Merrin
Yes I am positive that I have a female lovebird, its a peached face with a yellow washed body. The male I'm absolutely sure that its a budgie, the big head is unmistakable ;)
I'll post a picture of the parents.

merrin091

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Merrin
2012-04-30 13.46.41.jpg 2012-04-30 13.49.39.jpg

Ok, so the darker green one is the male budgie and the lighter green is the female lovebird.

Feather

Avenue Veteran
Your female lovebird is a budgie. The long tail, the cere, white patch under the eye . . . definitely a budgie.

Here's a pic of my budgie with my lovies for species comparison:

As you can see, there's quite a size difference between Swan and the other guys. Size aside, the most noticible differences are that the lovebird cere isn't nearly as prominent and their tails are shorter.

:hug8:We're all constantly learning, though, and the "lovebugs" are extremely adorable, regardless. It's good that you've come to the forum. This is a wealth of information and resources, and we're all working together to better the lives of the birds. I hope you'll stick around.

Last edited:

merrin091

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Merrin
Oh well, that's a nice thing to know :dance5:
I guess the breeder we got the female one from is a liar :rolleyes:
Anyway, at least we can all breathe now that we know nothing genetically alarming has happened :p
Avian Avenue is the best. Now, back to my very first original question...
How can I properly socialize these babies, and how can I play with them and slowly introduce them to new sights, people, things, and rooms?

Feather

Avenue Veteran
Yours isn't the first story I've heard of someone having the "wrong bird" sold to them.
I say just keep doing what your doing. Give them attention, talk to them, let them meet as many people as you can, and to the different rooms in the house. Though most of this can wait until after they're weaned, I would think. Again, I'm not a breeder, so don't take my word as law. :p

If I may suggest, once the babies are out of the nest and all that, you might want to look for a new cage for your female. Round cages aren't very good as they can make the bird feel insecure. :) Are you in the US? I have an extra cage that I could give you if you like.

Last edited:

merrin091

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Merrin
No I'm not in the US :(
Thanks for the offer though, well, I take the babies out of the cage in the morning and put them back in the evening. The mother bird is busy teaching her chicks how to eat seeds and clean feathers. :)
I'll just buy a new one for the babies once they're weaned, I know a good place to buy cheap but strong cages here at my place.

How will I know when they're weaned? :confused:

Anneka

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Am I the only one who sees this 'fish' or are there more members but are afraid to speak up???

First of all, budgies DO NOT breed with other species (I posted that earlier but I understand that not everyone might know this fact)

Secondly, a breeder sold you a budgie but told you it was a lovebird. Hm, maybe. :rolleyes: What worries me though is that if you bought a lovebird (according to what you told us, you thought your female budgie was a lovebird), shouldn't you do your homework/research about the lovebird species before you brought him home or if it was an impulse adoption, soon after you got him?

Lastly, your babies are how old now, 5 wks already? That is plenty of time to research about development stages, rearing chicks, fledging, weaning, etc.

We all have questions about our birds, we ask other members for an advice, we learn continually, but your questions truly scare me!

(BTW, please read about a diet for budgies who are feeding their babies)

merrin091

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Merrin
My chicks are 8 weeks old, I've posted that too earlier.
My uncle has had the 'lovebirds' long before he gave it to me because he's schedule has gotten hectic. Now that it's under my care, I have studied so much and that's what led me to ask you guys some questions I'm really concerned about. It's better to ask then to go off with my inexperienced bird-raising abilities. I'm learning, slowly though, but still am. :)

Jally

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sherry
I was sold a Dusky Conure that someone thought was a GCC. Now, that's a bit different because at least they're in the same family. But, you have 3 budgies and you thought one was a lovebird? Seriously? :eek:

merrin091

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Merrin
First of all, my uncle got a pair of 'lovebirds' he had them for four years and they didn't have babies till the female killed the male. Soon after, he bought three budgies, a pair and a male for the widowed female, under his care the male budgie and the partner of the other male was killed by the female, that was when he decided to give them to me leavng me with the dark green budgie And the female. That's the story, the female was already there four years now before the three budgies, before the bugies.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.