• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Socializing and introducing lovebird babies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Well regardless, I think it's good you are asking questions :) we've all made mistakes, and as long as we learn from them and strive not to repeat them, we should be able to move past them, right?

I'm no breeder, I have no experience, but I would just make sure to handle the babies like you are so they get a lot of human interaction. Have other people handle them too so it's not just you.

I would also see nothing wrong with introducing them to veggies and fruits.. the sooner they see those as food, the better!

Does the mother have access to any calcium? Egg laying takes a lot out of them.

In the future, if they mate again, and as cruel as it sounds, I would either swap the eggs for fakes, or boil them so that you don't get completely overrun with budgies :)

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Considering you've been a member here a long time now and you've had problems in the past with your birds. Since that time, when we suggested doing more research, you should have been doing research on your birds. Please, for the sake of your birds, do research on proper care and housing and about breeding.

merrin091

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Merrin
Ok, ok. I don't get to acess my Avian account so much before since my birds weren't doing anything new. I have researched, and researched a lot. I found out that my so-thought lovebird was a Dark-Eyed Clearflight Budgie :D and yes, I researched on some lovebirds and they're short, small, and plump. Well, now I know the reason for the chicks weren't cross breeding, rather, they were really from the same family all along, the Budgerigar family :) I admit and I'm not ashamed, I am inexperienced... A lot! :o: I enjoyed your critisicms, and suggestions as well as advices. Now, I am curious if baby budgies who are not taught by their parents to fly, would still learn to fly.

Vegemite

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Lynne
Can I just say, being a member of a forum is the best way to get answers for any questions you might have. When I first got my budgies, I did heaps of internet research and got soooooo confused, there is actually a lot of conflicting advice out there (and I am not just talking about parrots, other animals I have researched as well) During my research, a parrot forum popped up and I joined. Best thing I ever did. I have learnt so much about Parrots from people who share their lives WITH parrots. You say you are not in the US, where abouts are you, so that members here can help you find an a-vet.

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
I just wanted to throw this out there for everyone. Upon seeing this post I got VERY confused and remembered there was another recent thread talking about breeding from you. So out of curiousity I looked it up.

Well by doing my research I found that you got the two parakeets not too long ago (already at that time had two "lovebirds") Your uncle brought you the budgies and you made a thread on 4-24-12 asking if they can be caged with your "lovebirds". But on 4-5-12 you posted saying the male "lovebird" was killed by your female. In order for the babies to be 8 weeks old they would have had to hatch around March 7th. But in your thread talking about your male "lovebird" dying you also mentioned there were 5 eggs in the nest box so that makes it impossible for the 8 week old babies to be from the "lovebird" pair.

That's just what I got from everything, this right here is exactly why I do my research with old threads when someone has a problem.

I am leaning towards that you had all parakeets, your female killed your male and the two you posted photos of are the two your uncle bought you. Or maybe your male really is still alive and that's him in the photo and you lied, I'm not sure, everything here is quite fishy. I highly reccomend going back and reading your old threads and take some of the advice people posted in them. You have some GREAT posts in there and it would really be good to read them.

merrin091

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Merrin
I just wanted to throw this out there for everyone. Upon seeing this post I got VERY confused and remembered there was another recent thread talking about breeding from you. So out of curiousity I looked it up.

Well by doing my research I found that you got the two parakeets not too long ago (already at that time had two "lovebirds") Your uncle brought you the budgies and you made a thread on 4-24-12 asking if they can be caged with your "lovebirds". But on 4-5-12 you posted saying the male "lovebird" was killed by your female. In order for the babies to be 8 weeks old they would have had to hatch around March 7th. But in your thread talking about your male "lovebird" dying you also mentioned there were 5 eggs in the nest box so that makes it impossible for the 8 week old babies to be from the "lovebird" pair.

That's just what I got from everything, this right here is exactly why I do my research with old threads when someone has a problem.

I am leaning towards that you had all parakeets, your female killed your male and the two you posted photos of are the two your uncle bought you. Or maybe your male really is still alive and that's him in the photo and you lied, I'm not sure, everything here is quite fishy. I highly reccomend going back and reading your old threads and take some of the advice people posted in them. You have some GREAT posts in there and it would really be good to read them.
Okay, about the female who killed the male that was when they were still the TWO of them. Two budgies who they thought were lovebirds.
The two of them produced many eggs the whole time they were together (of course all in season). The first clutch, the FIVE eggs you were talking about, was their FIRST clutch and it was my FIRST time to see bird eggs so I asked.
After the original mate died, my uncle bought THREE budgies. That was when I asked if I could house them together cause back then, I thought the female was a lovebird.
The budgies were a female and two males.
The original female budgie killed her new budgie partner and the newly bought female budgie died of sickness ('nuff now, I'm sad too...) so the original female budgie was left with the other male budgie and they produced a clutch of eggs (3 eggs) but only two hatched. These were the 8 weeks old budgie that I posted pictures of.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Merrin, I don't know where you are located, but I'm going to take a guess that you might be in a country where budgies are often called lovebirds?

To AA, I've seen budgies, particularly in the Philippines, being called lovebirds. It's not the ignorance of a *PERSON* so much as it may be the ignorance of a country and what everyone learns from each other. Our cultures, mannerisms and ethics are often very different, so it's better to learn about who you are teaching prior to attacking them or giving advice, so that you may be more aware of their situation. We don't all have to agree on all points of bird keeping and care, but if we can help each other, and learn from each other, then it will be for the best of the birds involved.

Merrin, I'm glad we were able to figure out for sure that you have all budgies! You probably aren't correct on their mutations, but I hope you are able to expand your knowledge of them so that you can give them better lives! The babies are absolutely adorable!

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
Okay, about the female who killed the male that was when they were still the TWO of them. Two budgies who they thought were lovebirds.
The two of them produced many eggs the whole time they were together (of course all in season). The first clutch, the FIVE eggs you were talking about, was their FIRST clutch and it was my FIRST time to see bird eggs so I asked.
After the original mate died, my uncle bought THREE budgies. That was when I asked if I could house them together cause back then, I thought the female was a lovebird.
The budgies were a female and two males.
The original female budgie killed her new budgie partner and the newly bought female budgie died of sickness ('nuff now, I'm sad too...) so the original female budgie was left with the other male budgie and they produced a clutch of eggs (3 eggs) but only two hatched. These were the 8 weeks old budgie that I posted pictures of.
Alright I think I understand now, I still don't understand the timeline from your posts of when one died and when you got others in order to have the 8 week old babies but oh well. Good luck I hope you find the answers to your questions in your past threads.

merrin091

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Merrin
so it's better to learn about who you are teaching prior to attacking them or giving advice, so that you may be more aware of their situation. We don't all have to agree on all points of bird keeping and care, but if we can help each other, and learn from each other, then it will be for the best of the birds involved.
Thankyou! :o:

merrin091

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Merrin
I have now, thank you especially to Zydiabird and Monica. The female was a Dark Eyed Clearflight Budgie :)
There you go, problem solved, no more attacks etc.etc. and certainly NO genetic malfunctions ;)
Yes I do live in the Philippines and sadly, not much care about what kind of a bird that is or how it should be done but trust me, I am not one of them, I own 4 red-eared sliders, a pond of guppies, a tank of goldfishes, a labrador retriever, and three cats and trust me, they're ALL healthy and fine :D The fishes gets fresh water everyday, I clean the turtle ponds every week, my dog and my cat's veterinary booklet is up-to-date with vaccines and I have a family who supports me and helps me raising these animals who i call FAMILY. :heart: I came from a family who has owned many, many healthy pets so yea, it's sorta in my nature to be accustomed to owning sooo many pets :rolleyes: But it's okay, I love them and they love me too :highfive:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Merrin, I hope my post didn't come off in the wrong way! I have distant relatives in the Philippines, although I hardly know any of them. From videos and photos I've seen, I know that our cultures (I'm from USA) differ greatly. I also don't believe I could ever eat Filipino cuisine! Although, I don't know how a Filipino restaurant in Hawaii compares to one from the Philippines...

Regardless, your hen is not a dark eyed clear-flight budgie. Dark eyed clear often refers to either a heavy pied with no markings or a double factor spangle. Your hen is neither, and she is too heavily pied to be a clearflight pied. I believe she's a regular single factor dominant pied budgie, therefore one chick is dominant pied and the other is not. She also has a dilute gene, either greywing or dilute.

The male on the other hand is a normal green with a dark or grey factor.

Considering the colors of your chicks, I can tell you that both parents are split blue, and one, if not both parents, carry the yellowface gene.

You can figure out the mutations a bit better at the following website.
Budgie / Parakeet Colors and Mutations Guide

merrin091

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Merrin
I have distant relatives in the Philippines, although I hardly know any of them. I also don't believe I could ever eat Filipino cuisine! Although, I don't know how a Filipino restaurant in Hawaii compares to one from the Philippines...

You can figure out the mutations a bit better at the following website.
Budgie / Parakeet Colors and Mutations Guide
Oh Well, Monica, I have been referring to that website and to be honest, finding your budgie's mutation is reeeeeeeeally hard :o:. Thanks for the advice.
As for your relatives, you know where they live? The Filipino Restaurants at Hawaii, what food do they serve? We Filipinos are known for home-cooked meals and recipes passed down from generations and generations. Most of our meals are one-dishers with soup or sauces.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I can be pretty good about finding out what many mutations are, but some still get the best of me! :D

The only thing I remember about the restaurant in Hawaii was a dish in pigs blood. I honestly don't know what it was, and it turned my stomach as there's never been any Filipino influence (culturally or otherwise) within my family, even though my grandmother is 1/2 Filipino. I do have [Filipino] relatives in Hawaii that I have yet to meet (and some in southern California I have met), and I know that everyone there (in Hawaii) along with parts of my family in the USA would love to have a family reunion of sorts, but we have yet to figure out an ideal time for everyone.

Anyway, as far as birds go, Birds International is located in the Philippines, so if you can find the right people, I know you could get a lot of hands on advice! I can't get to the main website, but here's the Wiki page for BII.
Birds International - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

merrin091

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Merrin

The only thing I remember about the restaurant in Hawaii was a dish in pigs blood.

Anyway, as far as birds go, Birds International is located in the Philippines, so if you can find the right people, I know you could get a lot of hands on advice! I can't get to the main website, but here's the Wiki page for BII.
Birds International - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Thankyou for the information about birds here in the Philippines, I have looked the link up, seems they deal with exotic birds but I know I can ask around about budgies :)
As for the pig's blood dish, I know one dish here but it's made out of chicken blood. I don't like that dish very much, it's spicy and I don't like the idea of drinking a chicken's blood. :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.